Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You screwed up and blame it on paypal

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Although the ratio would probably be 80% the first and 20% the second case.

You just need to know what to look out for and there seem to be a lot of people out there who just don't know how to pay attention on the internet.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Your ratios are probably about right, really.

If everyone were to read and follow the terms of service, this would be a much smaller forum. There are legitimate complaints though and to suggest that there aren't demonstrates the problem with customer service. Paypal should hold funds if they are in dispute, but shouldn't automatically reverse the charges so that the disputed funds just disappear.

To all those that begin with "I'm under 18 but.." or those who shipped the item but have lost the paperwork, too bad. You actually are making it a whole lot worse by clogging up the complaints system. Leave customer service to the legitimate customers.

If we're going to be completely honest some of the complaints on here are simply sour grapes regarding being caught in violation of something or other. That doesn't discredit the actual problems that do crop up however. But yeah your response is kind of condescending in nature and I can see why folks are upset.

From what I've seen so far, a lot of people get confused by the long list of rules and terms that PayPal has. They just don't seem to realize what they're in for. Getting started and linking a bank account is a big challenge for most people. It took me quite a few days of research to actually be confident enough to try and get myself a PayPal account. I really feel that PayPal must make things simpler.

I was debating on upgrading to a premier or a business account with Paypal and stumbled on this forum again. It's been a few years since I stumbled on it the first time while deciding if I should join Paypal at all.

I did join Paypal despite all the negative reviews on this site. Mostly because a lot of the people who comment appear to not have a good enough command of the English language, let alone how to use an online bank, for me to bother taking their advice.

In the almost 4 years that I have been with Paypal I have had only one issue. I made a purchase on Etsy and the person I purchased from never sent the item, or claimed that it was returned, whatever the situation was. Either way I attempted communicating with the seller multiple times and after a period I did a chargeback and she promptly responded and sent me the money back.

Based on some of the stories here I wouldn't doubt that Paypal locked her account and refunding me was the only way she could get unlocked. With that said, I've made hundreds of transactions as a buyer and that's the only issue I've had.

In the last 6 months or so I have started selling. I have a 100% feedback rating on Ebay and have yet to have any issues. However, I do always feel the fear of someone purchasing from me and charging back. Since I sell physical items it's a bit harder to chargeback, but from my understanding it's still quite easy.

Most people will say that I'm walking in a minefield, and at any time one will go off. Maybe you're right, but from my experience so far I see nothing wrong with Paypal. Well, except for their terrible customer service. Especially by phone.

Some factors to consider though. I always ship with signature required, and I only sell new items that are in their original packaging. I also only sell to people with good feedback ratings and have taken any other precaution Ebay has made available to me. I also only ship within Canada, and mostly deal with the Canadian Ebay and Paypal.

Now on the flipside, I own a website where we sell virtual goods. We regularly make sales, daily, and we have thousands of dollars in transactions that are handled by Paypal monthly. We DO have an issue with Paypal on this site. Our issue with Paypal here stems from selling virtual goods. If we were to send SOMETHING physical with it we could apparently deter this issue. When someone purchases virtual goods it's very easy for them to chargeback for a variety of reasons.

Further, when dealing with Paypal on these chargebacks they ask us for evidence to support our case. What's very unusual is that we have won disputes with people who we had very little evidence against, and lost to others who we have had excessive evidence against. I have no idea why that happens, or what their criteria is for denying a chargeback, but I can safely say they don't take sides with either the buyer or the seller, they seem to have some secret criteria that they'll never share with us.

I don't know if this post will help anyone or not, and I'm truly sorry to hear all of the horror stories that people present. I just haven't had issues with Paypal, and neither has anyone I know. I have many friends who are in game and web development that own hundreds of websites between them that all accept payments via Paypal.

I'm the owner of 4 different businesses that all use Paypal regularly and have had only the one issue. As I had said before that issue was as a buyer and had absolutely nothing to do with Paypal itself. In 3+ years of business with Paypal I'd argue that's pretty good.

In fact I've had more issues with TD Bank in that time.

One of the first things I ever did with Paypal was write e-checks I couldn't afford. They charged my bank as they should, my bank went negative, and eventually I had to pay the bank back. They didn't even lock my Paypal account, let alone go as far as some of the other posters have claimed.

The only gripe I have with Paypal is that they have really terrible customer service, and are basically impossible to reach by phone. At least for a Canadian.

One last thing, I had never heard of Merchant before. It appears this forum is likely owned by Wells Fargo and pushes Merchant on us for that reason. So it's hard to take anything read on this forum very serious. Too bad you weren't an impartial site, I might be able to take you serious then. Also Merchant has a monthly fee on top of transaction fees, and it's Wells Fargo that's owns it ffs. lol.

Anyways this was a long-winded post. Good luck with your lawsuits and stuff, I truly do hope you win them.
    Last edited by Perryl; 08-15-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Just out of curiosity, what brings someone who is happy with PayPal to a place called PayPalSucks? I could never quite figure out why someone running a legitimate business would want to limit themselves to a payment option like PayPal. To me that has always been what people who can't get merchant accounts use. A monthly fee of 10, 15 or even 20 dollars isn't going to be bankrupting a business. PayPal's rates of 2.9% however can certainly cut in on profit margins.

I am glad to hear you have yet to experience any serious problems with PayPal and maybe it will remain that way. I sure don't wish PayPal horrors upon anyone. But damn they screwed me over and I am far from alone.