Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got scammed for $5,000 and now liable for it with Paypal. Need HELP.

Default Got scammed for $5,000 and now liable for it with Paypal. Need HELP.

I got scammed by a fake company and used me as a 3rd party to handle a payment for them using paypal. I received a payment by their so-called customers and sent it to them via w/u. They were supposed to send them products, and were never sent. I now am liable for $5000 towards Paypal, the transactions were refunded to the customers by stating that I never send them their merchandise. So now Paypal sends me debt collection emails and I do not know what to do. any advice? I already contacted ICM, and they are not going to open up an investigation.

I forgot to mention, I have sent numerous emails to Paypal in regards to the situation, but they send me stupid automated messages and do not say anything that will relieve me of the stress. I do not think reporting to the police will make a difference, should I negotiate with Paypal? I'm not a buyer or verified seller of the products, so why should I be liable? Paypal did not require verification of me being an authentic business of the products, so why should I be liable for paying? Each transactions was at least $1,500 or more, and I have never accepted those huge amounts over Paypal before, I feel they are responsible, anyone think this is eligible for a lawsuit?

You are in a tricky situation because it seems more like it was the fake company that scammed you then paypal. Is there anyway for you to after this "company" I think you would have better luck with that then going after paypal. If you are thinking about a lawsuit I go after the fake company. I don't thing what paypal is doing is right either and if you have the option/opportunity to negotiate with them and explain your situation maybe something will come out of it but dont hold your waiting breath for it. Did the fake company have a paypal account?

I understand, If I had the ability to go after them I would. I believe the fake company consists of people who conspire to trick innocent victims into doing business with them and use Paypal as a gateway of accruing the funds. I found the company on Alibaba, and they can't do anything either, I have contacted them on the matter and they state; I should use legal means and sue a company that cannot be located, and second that I should contact the police. And exactly what can the police do about the situation? I really do not think the authorities can do much to be honest, they can launch an investigation, but already submitting the info to the IC3 I can tell not much will occur. I feel Paypal allowed these criminals to use their system to their advantage, therefore I feel Paypal is liable, and after sending them emails they never contacted me on behalf of the situation.

I feel for you man. That is a pretty shitty situation you are in. Sadly you can not count on any help from paypal. They allow criminals to use their system as long as they are making money they are happy. And why stop the cash flow? Have you tried calling paypal? Send e-mails to every e-mail address you can find.

So you believe I should talk to them about it? Recently I have not received any debt collection e-mails, but I'm scared to wake up the next morning with some summons stating that I am being sued. I honestly do not know what to do, and If I was wealthy I would not care about the money, but being a student I barely make ends meet for myself.

I suppose I should talk to them about it, their customer service sucks. I sent an e-mail to them, so let's see what becomes of it. I might even post it on here to show what they say. Nah, this guy posted some fake company on Alibaba, and I have ordered stuff from there, and we talked for a couple months. He even called me up and said he needed a favor. He stated he needed someone to handle a few payments for his company, through Paypal. I had no idea Paypal can reverse transactions, I have never been in that situation and thank G-D I haven't, but looks like all that karma added up to the end result of, $5,000.

So guess what, Paypal returns my email sent to them with this following message;

Your account access limitation cannot be lifted at this time. Our records
    show the balance in your PayPal account is currently negative. Please
    access your account at [url]https://www.paypal.com/[/url] and follow the instructions
    provided for paying the negative balance amount.

Sincerely,
    PayPal

Well doesn't that message just warm up my Christmas spirit. I asked to explain to them the situation that I am in, and added that I was a the victim of a crime that was committed through Paypal, and used their services as a middle man, and all they worried about was adding money to the negative balance. This company really does suck, I am going to attempt a few more times, if they take no action to professionally handle the situation and talk to me, then I will simply do nothing about it, and if brought to court, I will simply defend myself stating that I had contacted them an ample amount of times, but they did not want to co-operate, and such forth. Does any feel that this would work?

Quote Originally Posted by abdullatokhie25 View Post
    So guess what, Paypal returns my email sent to them with this following message;

Your account access limitation cannot be lifted at this time. Our records
    show the balance in your PayPal account is currently negative. Please
    access your account at [url]https://www.paypal.com/[/url] and follow the instructions
    provided for paying the negative balance amount.

Sincerely,
    PayPal

Well doesn't that message just warm up my Christmas spirit. I asked to explain to them the situation that I am in, and added that I was a the victim of a crime that was committed through Paypal, and used their services as a middle man, and all they worried about was adding money to the negative balance. This company really does suck, I am going to attempt a few more times, if they take no action to professionally handle the situation and talk to me, then I will simply do nothing about it, and if brought to court, I will simply defend myself stating that I had contacted them an ample amount of times, but they did not want to co-operate, and such forth. Does any feel that this would work?
    I read somewhere else in this forum that if you are sent to debt collections and the collection agency tries collect you tell them that you never owed this money and you will sue THEM if they keep trying to collect this debt that you are not liable for. They have to prove that you owe the debt they are trying to collect or stop calling you. They can't prove this because they bought the debt for pennies on the dollar. They are not going to take you to court. They got bigger fish to fry and if for some reason they do then you have your story backed up with proof. They are just trying to scare you to pay. I wish you the very best of luck and I hope you will have Merry Christmas after all.

Hate to hear that yet another person has been scammed through Paypal but not surprised. Paypal allows criminals to sell stolen goods or crap disguised as something else from their site and as the buyer you're just another one of many already scammed and yet to be scammed. Paypal can claim they are only a middle man but they do consistently allow fake/criminal business to take place and it doesn't matter to them because they do get their portion of the money. Lawsuit, good luck hope you have time and a whole lot of patience because this could take years...very frustrating.