Thread: eBay tampered with my account, do I have any recourse?

Default eBay tampered with my account, do I have any recourse?

Please try to refrain from laughing at me too hard here as you read this...I had started an online petition to make Friday, 11-11-11 "Close Your eBay Account Day." It was hardly something eBay needed to feel threatened by (it got one signature). So yesterday I signed into my eBay account and clicked "Close My Account." The window that opened said, "We can't close your account at this time because: You currently have a credit balance."

Confused, I went to my account and was shocked to discover there was indeed a $0.01 credit (see image here: [url]http://www.aasp.net/~ladydi/ebay-onecent.jpg[/url]). My previous invoice was $0.95 which I paid. And this was the ONLY transaction I've had (note the date above, June through November).

I immediately called their customer service department. The man on the phone had NO IDEA where this penny credit came from. After putting me on hold to find out what's going on, he said my $0.95 payment had not yet cleared, but once it does (in two to three days), that mysterious one cent should "go away."

It is my firm belief that eBay saw my petition, KNEW I was going to close my account today, and decided to have a little fun of their own by deliberately planting this $0.01
    credit into my account to make it impossible for me to close it.

I've filed complaints with the FTC, the Mass and Calif atty generals, and sent an email to the law firm Freed & Weiss. I also filed a complaint with their cronies at the BBB telling them to inform eBay that I'm going to take this to the media if the one cent credit isn't gone by Tuesday...But seriously, is there *anything* I can really do here?

You are off to a good start by filing complaints with the FTC, the Mass and Calif atty generals, and sent the email to the law firm Freed & Weiss. You also filed a complaint with the BBB. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. I hope this is true in your case.

I like your initiative about the "Close Your eBay Account Day" on 11-11-11 I was unaware of it though. Maybe we can get it up and running for "Close Your eBay Account Day" on 12-12-12. Hopefully your one-cent-saga should be resolved by then so you can close your account.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProXI11 View Post
    You are off to a good start by filing complaints with the FTC, the Mass and Calif atty generals, and sent the email to the law firm Freed & Weiss. You also filed a complaint with the BBB. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. I hope this is true in your case.

I like your initiative about the "Close Your eBay Account Day" on 11-11-11 I was unaware of it though. Maybe we can get it up and running for "Close Your eBay Account Day" on 12-12-12. Hopefully your one-cent-saga should be resolved by then so you can close your account.
    Well, an eBay exec sits on the BBB board so I don't expect that to go anywhere...and I wouldn't recommend doing the petition again, I posted about it on [URL="http://letters.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2011/11/1320868491.html#comments"]Auctionbytes, take a look at the snide remarks I got[/URL].

eBay sure does a good job of making sure their shills find anything you post and knock you down to the ground! I posted on a few consumer complaint sites and lo and behold, nothing by nasty comments left...and some don't even make any sense, like this one:

Well it looks like you failed. Miserably. Maybe get a job now?

What on earth does my job have to do with anything? Sheesh...