Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10 Years Later? Is this legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    Whenever a collection agency is coming after you, it's better to clear things up. I have had a friend who was being called by a collection agency for a year only to really talk to them after a year and them realizing they had the wrong guy. If they are telling you, you have a job and a house, maybe they also have the wrong guy?
    I may just have to, since I just tried looking at my credit report online and I'm not answering the questions correctly. Apparently, I applied for a student loan back in 2012. I wonder where I'm going and what I'm my degree is going to be. I hope it's a smarter choice than the one I made.

I can not believe that. This is exactly why I only use them when I absolutely have to, I am using Square now and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by LivetoErr View Post
    I may just have to, since I just tried looking at my credit report online and I'm not answering the questions correctly. Apparently, I applied for a student loan back in 2012. I wonder where I'm going and what I'm my degree is going to be. I hope it's a smarter choice than the one I made.
    So they made a mistake ? Probably misstook you for somebody with the same name ?

Check the statutes of limitations for debt collectors in your state. I doubt they can do anything now. I have not heard of any state going past seven years. Be careful though. The second you acknowledge the debt or make a payment of even a dollar, the clock starts again.

I didnt know that collection agencies can still come after you after 10 years. I thought it's only 7 years or so. Maybe the one who called you was only trying his or her luck because they have traced it when you created a new account.

It still weird because the system was so smart and was able to find your old account and connect it to the present one.

Anyway, since you already paid for it, it's also a good thing so you can continue with your usage of paypal account. It just scares me now that there are stories like this one.