Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Years Later? Is this legal?

Johan Guest

Default 10 Years Later? Is this legal?

Ok, let's hop in our time machines and go back to 2001...

I created a Paypal account and began selling items on eBay. In 2002, I sold an item to someone on eBay, shipped the item and thought all was well.

The buyer disputed the transaction, stating the item was incorrect. I provided proof of delivery (UPS) yet the chargeback still went through, and the account went negative. What more could I have done?

Flash forward to the last week or so, I started getting collections calls EVERY morning at like 7:00am. I ignored them all (mostly because I was still sleeping and had no idea who would be calling). Today, I called the number back, and found that it was a Collection Agency, and PayPal was coming after me for more than $500. I asked for more information, and she provided an account number.

I called PayPal a bit ago and was transferred to someone in 'that department'. Apparently they upgraded their systems and found duplicate accounts and linked my old account to my new account and started coming after me.

The rep I spoke with was polite, and offered me a reduced payment, but would ban me from using PayPal ever again, or to pay in installments.

I decided to pay it all at once, using an AMEX card (in case I need to dispute their dispute - AMEX is pretty good about that) and since AMEX doesn't allow them to take the card number on a recorded line he had to call me back, and so he did and the payment went through.

My questions to you guys (since it appears I'm not the only one with PayPal problems)
    • What could I have done differently?
    • Is there anything I can do now?
    • Should I dispute this with AMEX, since I still do not believe I should be liable for this?
    • Can they really come after me 9-10 years after the fact?

This is all new to me, I've never had to deal with collections or PayPal trying to come after me so I am hoping I have some kind of recourse here?

Thank you all!

I have never heard of collections agencies coming after someone to settle a debt after so long. However, it is possible. I'm not sure if you should have settled the matter so quickly, considering the fact that it was so long ago. I, personally, would've wanted a little more information first and I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about it now but it is worth a try.

I would have waited before forking over any money. It is such an old account. I would tell Amex that it might be fraud and ask if they can investigate further.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Ok, let's hop in our time machines and go back to 2001...

I created a Paypal account and began selling items on eBay. In 2002, I sold an item to someone on eBay, shipped the item and thought all was well.

The buyer disputed the transaction, stating the item was incorrect. I provided proof of delivery (UPS) yet the chargeback still went through, and the account went negative. What more could I have done?

Flash forward to the last week or so, I started getting collections calls EVERY morning at like 7:00am. I ignored them all (mostly because I was still sleeping and had no idea who would be calling). Today, I called the number back, and found that it was a Collection Agency, and PayPal was coming after me for more than $500. I asked for more information, and she provided an account number.

I called PayPal a bit ago and was transferred to someone in 'that department'. Apparently they upgraded their systems and found duplicate accounts and linked my old account to my new account and started coming after me.

The rep I spoke with was polite, and offered me a reduced payment, but would ban me from using PayPal ever again, or to pay in installments.

I decided to pay it all at once, using an AMEX card (in case I need to dispute their dispute - AMEX is pretty good about that) and since AMEX doesn't allow them to take the card number on a recorded line he had to call me back, and so he did and the payment went through.

My questions to you guys (since it appears I'm not the only one with PayPal problems)
    • What could I have done differently?
    • Is there anything I can do now?
    • Should I dispute this with AMEX, since I still do not believe I should be liable for this?
    • Can they really come after me 9-10 years after the fact?

This is all new to me, I've never had to deal with collections or PayPal trying to come after me so I am hoping I have some kind of recourse here?

Thank you all!
    I think you handled it very well. As I'm not mistaken, if the item wasn't as you specified, the buyers should have sent it back to you. You can figure that out and see where it gets you.

You should not dispute this with AMEX because you'll never be able to justify this. They can't look at Paypal's records. Paypal will just tell them you still had some debt to pay.

Yes, they can. And it's sad to see so many people on this forum removing the link to their credit cards and bank accounts because in the end they will all end up like you.

It's good you cleared this out.

Its a horror story that something like this can happen. I believe you should be careful and investigate it further. It all sounds pretty fishy to me..
    Maybe its some kind of fraud...

My recall on this isn't 100% percent but I believe they duped you into paying the bill.

Most likely, there would have been a statute of limitation on the debt. Normally, after 7.5 years of last activity (i.e, your last payment on a credit card), a debt will be removed from your credit card. Paypal just wanted to try their luck, hoping they'd get money from you.

I assume, you still want to use your Paypal account, which is why you didn't elect to pay the smaller amount offered. I'm not sure you can open a dispute with AMEX and still keep your Paypal account. So it's up to you, how you want to go forth with this issue.

I was under the impression that collections companies can only go after you for collections for seven years.

I almost think that it would be worth talking to an attorney about? I'm not sure if you can dispute the charges with AMEX, but you can try?

I can't believe that they came after you this much later. I definitely wouldn't take it without a fight.

I'm not sure about the US, which is where I assume you're from, but in the UK a debt collection agency can only approach you for 2556 days, which is slightly short of seven years. After this, the debt must be taken directly to a court to be settled, which is highly unlikely unless the debt is a large one.

If I were you I'd have ignored the calls from the collection agency and not opened the door to anyone you didn't know - that would've been my actions in a similar circumstance. I think you should definitely dispute the payment you made to PayPal, but I can't think of a legal reason you could say specifically why - although we all know what they did was morally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I'm not sure about the US, which is where I assume you're from, but in the UK a debt collection agency can only approach you for 2556 days, which is slightly short of seven years. After this, the debt must be taken directly to a court to be settled, which is highly unlikely unless the debt is a large one.

If I were you I'd have ignored the calls from the collection agency and not opened the door to anyone you didn't know - that would've been my actions in a similar circumstance. I think you should definitely dispute the payment you made to PayPal, but I can't think of a legal reason you could say specifically why - although we all know what they did was morally wrong.
    It's pretty much the same thing here. I have never heard it referred to by the number of days, but I do know that the standard is seven years. I think there are certain debts that can be pursued for longer than that, but I don't think it's the case with this one.

It seems there are more cases of debt collectors from PayPal coming after people. Cant PayPal first make follow ups to find the truth about some of this claims.

Am loosing confidence every day while dealing with PayPal especially making payments.