Thread: do i need to be worried?

cdp06 Guest

Default do i need to be worried?

I'm not positive but I'm a bit curious about something. Recently I performed a service for a local guy in my town in which he payed for through his paypal account. I have reason to believe that the funds in which he sent to me are funds that he had scammed from someone in which he sold items under a false paypal account with false information (somehow it was still verified) and never sent the items but sent all the funds he had in his paypal account (he payed me cash also as there was still a remaining fee for my services once the paypal funds were transferred) before the buyers knew so he would have no money thay paypal could return to his scammed buyers. I have already put the money in my bank account. I couldn't somehow get caught up in this whole thing if they catch him would I? (assuming he's guilty in the first place)

jrwn Guest

Yep, you could be linked, if he got fraud funds, and forwarded them to you, they could be removed from your account.

denver24312 Guest

No, why would you be caught up in this if you had no knowledge of it? Plus, you already have the funds. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdp06 View Post
    I'm not positive but I'm a bit curious about something. Recently I performed a service for a local guy in my town in which he payed for through his paypal account. I have reason to believe that the funds in which he sent to me are funds that he had scammed from someone in which he sold items under a false paypal account with false information (somehow it was still verified) and never sent the items but sent all the funds he had in his paypal account (he payed me cash also as there was still a remaining fee for my services once the paypal funds were transferred) before the buyers knew so he would have no money thay paypal could return to his scammed buyers. I have already put the money in my bank account. I couldn't somehow get caught up in this whole thing if they catch him would I? (assuming he's guilty in the first place)

pete_wilde Guest

Default Yes - Be a bit worried

Paypal would only take the money back from you IF they believed that your account was linked to the other guy's account.

This is designed to stop individuals from opening up miltiple accounts and using one to scam people with and then transfering the money safely to another account.

If Paypal did indeed try to grab the money back from the other guy they would only then come after you if the attempt was unsuccessful i.e. the guy didn't have any cash.

However, if they believed that the cash payment made to you was legitimate then they wouldn't pursue you.

The problem is that Paypal tend to be a law unto themselves and it wouldn't surprise me if they took money from some one's account simply because the person they were after lived in the same street.