Thread: PayPal scam - 1200 negative balance, debt collectors involved.

Default PayPal scam - 1200 negative balance, debt collectors involved.

Hello, I'm new to this site.
    Allow me explain my situation here.

Okay, so basically I was scammed on PayPal by an individual or group from IG (Instagram).
    Basically someone who I have been mutually following on IG for a while now, DM'd me saying he needs help.
    So ofc I asked & told him to explain his situation.
    He told me that him and his friends have money in their PayPal accounts due to making sales and affliate marketing & what not.
    He told me the problem is that he is unable to add a bank card to PayPal due to certain circumstances and that he is willing to give me a small cut of the money aslong as I let him and his friends transfer money to my PayPal and then into my bank so I could send the money to his bank account, so they could withdraw the funds.

Now, iniatially, I didn't see a problem with that at all, I thought I was just being helpful & getting a cut while doing so. Little did I know it was a scam. I accepted the money, altogether it was around 1,400. They let me keep around 200. Sorry, atm I'm not entirely sure of the EXACT figures.
    They send the money to my PayPal in various accounts (Who I thought were all his friends accounts). I withdrew the funds to my bank and then transfered the money to his bank account.

Everything was done and went smoothly. I helped someone get over 1K from their PayPal account and made money doing so... Well that's what I thought.
    A couple hours later, I started getting chargebacks from a few of the accounts. I was confused as to why this had happened so I went to contact the user on IG to find out what was going on.
    He deleted his IG account.
    I logged back into PayPal to try to find out what was going on. I had no idea what a chargeback was or that it was even possible.
    After getting various chargebacks and finding out that the IG user had deleted his account, meaning I had no way to contact it, I realised it was a scam. A scam that would put in massive debt.

After realising it was a scam, I hastily contacted PayPal and briefly explain that I had been scammed. They told me to file an ActionFraud report and get back to them. For those of you that don't know, ActionFraud is the UK's national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre.
    So I filed the report and was given a reference. I gave PayPal the reference and thought they would handle it from there.

A few weeks later I get a call from PayPal telling me I have to pay the money immediately, by then the chargebacks were at around 900 (but is still slowly raising, it should eventually reach 1200).
    I explained the situation to them various times, the man on the phone honestly couldn't care less. He told me I was liable because I shouldn't have accepted the money.
    I told him I don't have that kind of money, in which his response was that PayPal were getting a debt collector and I should pay whatever I can right now over the phone.
    He asked, so I gave him permission to take 50 out of my bank to decrease the debt. I really only let him do that to show I was willing to co-operate, although I'm not sure if I intend to pay the full debt.
    I even explained to him that I starting University in September and could use my student loans to help pay off the debt. He said they can't wait that long, the debt needs to be paid immediately. Which I found weird because PayPal is a billion dollar company, I'm sure they can handle a little debt for a couple of months until it is paid. A few months shouldn't be that big a deal imo.

It's been 2/3 days now and I still haven't heard from any debt collector. I'm still waiting on the call.
    Now, I know what I did was stupid. I fell for a scam, but should I really be liable to pay for it?
    The man on the phone even agree'd that it was a scam and he can see how it worked out, yet I still have to pay for it.
    They basically want me to fund criminal activity. Now, whether I'm at fault & should be liable or not could be debated.

What should I do from here, any advice? I'm 19, from the UK, I really don't have the means to pay off a 1,200 debt.
    I don't have that type of money.
    I've looked up various other situations on various sites, where I've seen people send the cease and desist letters, ignore the debt collectors, try fight them and so on.
    I wouldn't mind telling them I'm not paying the debt because I shouldn't be liable or sending them a cease and desist letter or something along those lines. But, after doing so, they could still take legal action and take me to court.
    Would they really take me to court over $1200? I heard that they usually won't unless it is over 5-10K, but I'm not entirely sure that is true. Personally I think 1K is a pretty large amount.
    What action do you think they will take and how should I respond?
    The last thing I want is them turning up at my house, but I heard they are not allowed to do that unless you let them. Is this true?

Alternatively, If I did decide to pay. Would they accept a repayment of like 20/30 every month?
    Or even that, temporarily until I go to university, that way I would be able to use my student loans to help pay it off?

I know I wrote quite a lot & I might have missed some information but thanks in advance, I need all the help I can get here.

Jay

This situation is very strange. you should call them andi am sure they help you

Angry Hey bro

Quote Originally Posted by Jay0161 View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this site.
    Allow me explain my situation here.

Okay, so basically I was scammed on PayPal by an individual or group from IG (Instagram).
    Basically someone who I have been mutually following on IG for a while now, DM'd me saying he needs help.
    So ofc I asked & told him to explain his situation.
    He told me that him and his friends have money in their PayPal accounts due to making sales and affliate marketing & what not.
    He told me the problem is that he is unable to add a bank card to PayPal due to certain circumstances and that he is willing to give me a small cut of the money aslong as I let him and his friends transfer money to my PayPal and then into my bank so I could send the money to his bank account, so they could withdraw the funds.

Now, iniatially, I didn't see a problem with that at all, I thought I was just being helpful & getting a cut while doing so. Little did I know it was a scam. I accepted the money, altogether it was around 1,400. They let me keep around 200. Sorry, atm I'm not entirely sure of the EXACT figures.
    They send the money to my PayPal in various accounts (Who I thought were all his friends accounts). I withdrew the funds to my bank and then transfered the money to his bank account.

Everything was done and went smoothly. I helped someone get over 1K from their PayPal account and made money doing so... Well that's what I thought.
    A couple hours later, I started getting chargebacks from a few of the accounts. I was confused as to why this had happened so I went to contact the user on IG to find out what was going on.
    He deleted his IG account.
    I logged back into PayPal to try to find out what was going on. I had no idea what a chargeback was or that it was even possible.
    After getting various chargebacks and finding out that the IG user had deleted his account, meaning I had no way to contact it, I realised it was a scam. A scam that would put in massive debt.

After realising it was a scam, I hastily contacted PayPal and briefly explain that I had been scammed. They told me to file an ActionFraud report and get back to them. For those of you that don't know, ActionFraud is the UK's national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre.
    So I filed the report and was given a reference. I gave PayPal the reference and thought they would handle it from there.

A few weeks later I get a call from PayPal telling me I have to pay the money immediately, by then the chargebacks were at around 900 (but is still slowly raising, it should eventually reach 1200).
    I explained the situation to them various times, the man on the phone honestly couldn't care less. He told me I was liable because I shouldn't have accepted the money.
    I told him I don't have that kind of money, in which his response was that PayPal were getting a debt collector and I should pay whatever I can right now over the phone.
    He asked, so I gave him permission to take 50 out of my bank to decrease the debt. I really only let him do that to show I was willing to co-operate, although I'm not sure if I intend to pay the full debt.
    I even explained to him that I starting University in September and could use my student loans to help pay off the debt. He said they can't wait that long, the debt needs to be paid immediately. Which I found weird because PayPal is a billion dollar company, I'm sure they can handle a little debt for a couple of months until it is paid. A few months shouldn't be that big a deal imo.

It's been 2/3 days now and I still haven't heard from any debt collector. I'm still waiting on the call.
    Now, I know what I did was stupid. I fell for a scam, but should I really be liable to pay for it?
    The man on the phone even agree'd that it was a scam and he can see how it worked out, yet I still have to pay for it.
    They basically want me to fund criminal activity. Now, whether I'm at fault & should be liable or not could be debated.

What should I do from here, any advice? I'm 19, from the UK, I really don't have the means to pay off a 1,200 debt.
    I don't have that type of money.
    I've looked up various other situations on various sites, where I've seen people send the cease and desist letters, ignore the debt collectors, try fight them and so on.
    I wouldn't mind telling them I'm not paying the debt because I shouldn't be liable or sending them a cease and desist letter or something along those lines. But, after doing so, they could still take legal action and take me to court.
    Would they really take me to court over $1200? I heard that they usually won't unless it is over 5-10K, but I'm not entirely sure that is true. Personally I think 1K is a pretty large amount.
    What action do you think they will take and how should I respond?
    The last thing I want is them turning up at my house, but I heard they are not allowed to do that unless you let them. Is this true?

Alternatively, If I did decide to pay. Would they accept a repayment of like 20/30 every month?
    Or even that, temporarily until I go to university, that way I would be able to use my student loans to help pay it off?

I know I wrote quite a lot & I might have missed some information but thanks in advance, I need all the help I can get here.

Jay
    This happened to me as well and I am like 1500 on negative balance.

I am not gonna pay a cent due to the fact that I didn't even knew that this would go against me. Inwas scammed and used as a shit for others to get rich while I stay here and wonder what is gonna happen if i am not gonna pay it.
    Although I will never ever use PayPal again because of that.

Is there anyone experienced the same problem? Id like to know something real and what can I do because i dont have any money to spend for that amount...

JAY..DO NOT PAY THEM ANYTHING.
    First of all did the PAYPAL call you or the debt Agency? I never heard before that a paypal representative calls you and accept a small amount of money...So i guess it was the debt agency who did that.
    Now Jay..debt agency they will say even that they resurrect your grand-grand mother in order to obtain something from you.
    A lesson wich i learn with PPAL...THEY CLAIM WITH THE DEBT AGENCY AT LEAST AT THIS DATE 24/05/2016 THEY CANT GO TO YOUR CREDIT SCORE. And that because any court will not accept their claim. The debt agency is just trying to misleading you so you can pay the money.
    First of all you said you reported it to action fraud and you have a reference number. So why should you pay something if nothing from a court come to your address?.

And im speaking from knowledge..as before it was happend to me that i sell something on ebay..sending the item on the VERIFIED ADDRESS , and the i got charge back on the reason that the buyer started a chargedback THRU HIS CREDIT CARD COMPANY...so in this case paypal cant do nothing and basically leaves you with the negative balance even if you respected the TT.
    Now after 2 times happening to me....i was change the way im posting the item...like dispatch in 2 days. Why? because in 2 days i have the time to windrow money into my bank account....So after that the 4th time again...same shit..the buyer started a charge-back thru his credit card company...but this time it was about 1600 (ive sold a customize computer...watercooled etc). When i contact Ppal they told me that the person said his account got hacked . Now i was laughting on the phone with the ppal CS because i said to them.."Listen you are sayng that the person Ebay and PPal got hacked...but on the transaction it shows the "VERIFIED ADRESS" and also it shows that i have SELLER PROTECTION.
    Now you imagine that the computer was send tracked by DPD next day...tracking number everything was absolutely perfect. So after 30 mins with a "i am robot" CS i ended by saying them that " The only way you guys will get this money from me is maybe the CO of PPAL have a sister witch i can "use" it ...and she needs to be good for 1600 "
    After that i was received a letter from a so named RED debt agency wich it was ask me for money. Aditionally i was get a call from them telling me "that this is serious" and i told the lady on the phone if she can wait because im taking a shit and i need to clean my ass. She drop off the call..and after receiving the 2nd call when i was at university i have block their number.
    This was happening around march 2015 and trust me my credit file have no such thing called debt from ppal or w/e.
    So you stay calm...put your mind together and have no fear in this ESPECIALLY if you have a AF reference number.
    A and btw....after this..i canceled my debit card...and i open a new ppal account adding a diferent bank account and even today im selling on Ebay with the same old ebay account(because you can add a new ppal account to it)