Hi. I'm from Australia and recently got defrauded by an eBay buyer from Russia for an iPod valued at $175.00. When I see somebody has paid me via PayPal I think nothing of it and automatically post them the item the following next day. Two days had passed and I thought to check my PayPal account on a whim, only to my shock horror that payment for this item had been withheld following an investigation that unauthorized access had been made from this person's PayPal account. PayPal wanted proof that I had posted it so I happily sent them all the details including the tracking number thinking great, I have seller protection, only to find out 10 days later the seller has no protection because the buyer was awarded their refund, and I'm left out of pocket with no cash and no iPod. What kind of bullshit is that? Why should I the seller be the one who is left out of pocket when the owner of the PayPal account is too stupid to better safeguard their account against fraud? Why should I have to pay for PayPal's mistake if they cannot better protect their clients against fraud? And who can truly believe what the buyer says is true, they could have easily made that up to receive a refund after I have posted their item. What kind of investigation is PayPal doing in the 10 days I am waiting on deaf ears? Are they planning on intercepting my parcel in Russia to catch the fraudster and post it back to me? Pffth. I gave them exactly what they asked so where the hell is my refund? Next time I get defrauded and they ask me for the tracking number and other details, I will tell them to stick it, because through this experience we both know that whatever information I give them I will just be wasting my time but get nothing but diddly squat in return. I am just glad I was ripped off a meagre $175.00 and not $10,000 if seller beware!!! Through this experience I have learnt PayPal are liars and can never again be trusted, thus I must limit what I sell on eBay, and be extra cautious how I run my business and post my items.

The main reason why I am here is I would like some help in preventing this from ever happening again. Does anybody have good advice on how I can better safeguard myself from this happening again? Is there any way of knowing a person is about to defraud me before I post their item? The safeguard measures I have already implemented is 1. I have eBay blocked almost all foreign countries from buying my items. 2. I now check their eBay address to see if it matches with their PayPal address. 3. I now wait for a PayPal confirmation that its ok to ship to the following address. 4. I am extra weary of newly registered eBay members, but peeved off their's no option to eBay block these people from buying from me.

So what am I missing here? What else can or should I do to detect or avoid a fraudster before posting their item? Or have I already covered everything?

Thank you.
.................................................. .................................................. ..........

When I tried posting this letter in the PayPal Community Forum for some strange reason it automatically blocked out most of my letter, bleeping out sections that don't require bleeping out and forcing me to register and post it here instead. Why is it such a crime in this day and age to tell the truth exactly how you feel with all this pathetic censorship getting around, do these people have something to hide or what? Pffth. This is what happens when I cut and paste my letter in their PayPal forum.

Hi. I'm **bleep** it, because through this experience we both know that whatever information I give them I will just be wasting my time but get nothing but diddly squat in return. I am just glad I was ripped off a meagre $175.00 and not $10,000 if seller beware!!! Through this experience I have learnt PayPal are liars and can never again be trusted, thus I must limit what I sell on eBay, and be extra cautious how I run my business and post my items.

The main reason why I am here is I would like some help in preventing this **bleep** these people from buying from me.

So what am I missing here? What else can or should I do to detect or avoid a fraudster before posting their item? Or have I already covered everything?

Thank you.