Thread: Debt collector hounding me for $1,000 from chargebacks

Default Debt collector hounding me for $1,000 from chargebacks

So I got hit with a few chargebacks a few months ago, account went into the negative for a little over $1,000.

They sent it to one debt collector, I told them it wasn't a valid debt, they bounced it on to another debt collector, I told them it wasn't a valid debt.

Now debt collector #2 (covergent) has sent me a letter claiming that the debt has been verified. They got an attachment from PayPal listing the chargebacks and another attachment with the legal language for my state (California) saying that they could report it to a credit agency.

I can't afford to pay this, and on a moral level I shouldn't have to. It's not my fault that these chargebacks hit.

So... what do I do? I can't let this mess up my credit score, is there something I can say or write to this agency to make them go away?

Please help me, I'm kind of terrified right now because $1,000 is no small amount of money to me.

First of all, I want to tell you I've been where you are.

Let me ask you this: did you talk to the debt collectors by phone? Or did you write to them? Also, what kind of chargebacks were they? Unauthorized use, or maybe not as described?