Thread: Access PayPal & Cached Settings Save to Facebook...What If It Was Not Your PayPal

Arrow Access PayPal & Cached Settings Save to Facebook...What If It Was Not Your PayPal

Access PayPal & Cached Settings Save to Facebook...What If It Was Not Your PayPal Account, Just Someone Using Your Laptop?

I recently had an issue whereby a PayPal account accessed from my laptop, cached the login details not only to my computer, but also to Facebook. This was not my PayPal account. When I made game charges for the next few days, without my knowledge, it booked them to my friend's account. On reflection, I was surprised that given this was a new payment method to my Facebook account that not once did it ask for a PayPal password, which would have enabled me to quickly realise it had cached my friend's settings and allowed me to delete them, or change them back to my settings.....

Admittedly, when I contacted Facebook and PayPal regarding the matter and they investigated it, they refunded the money in just a few days. But it's not the point.....it should never have happened in the first place. On chatting with friends on this matter I have learnt that a girlfriend of mine had a very similar issue.

This surely must be considered to be fraud committed by Facebook? Not the Facebook account holder. Where does PayPal's liability sit in all of this? I would be interested to know where the law stands on this. If Facebook caches these settings without the users knowledge and charges are brought against the Facebook account holder, who is held liable Facebook (given they have setup Facebook to collect the information without the knowledge of the Facebook account holder) or is it the Facebook account holder, given that 'ignorance is no excuse in the eye's of the law'....at very least, I would imagine Facebook and PayPal could be held liable for 'contributory negligence'.....or no?

Or is it entirely my fault because my Google Chrome is setup to cache my login names and passwords to the websites I visit?

When I searched the PayPal & Facebook help on this I found that not only is it a common issue, but it has been happening for a long time, so it then begs the question....Why are Facebook or PayPal not fixing the issue? Refer this link for more details... https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Security-and-protection/Resolved-issue-with-FACEBOOK-fraud/td-p/364424

For me in most part it was embarrassing, I did not need my friend knowing my game play spends. Thankfully, she was very understanding about it all, but I just cannot let go of the fact that all Facebook have to do to prevent this from happening is make you enter your PayPal password every time you book a game credit to you PayPal account while in Facebook. If it's so easy to fix, why have they not fixed the issue?

I have a few weeks back deleted PayPal as a payment option from my Facebook all together, as I have Facebook open or readily accessible on my iPhone, iPad and Laptop....and is just too easy for kids especially to book stuff up to your PayPal account. With a credit card however, it requests the cvc code, so it makes it just that little bit safer. I am seriously surprised by the amount of Horror Stories I have come across in the last few days with regards to Facebook users using PayPal as a payment option. It also seems Facebook and PayPal are not getting together and trying to sort out these issue's, which is pretty lame on there part, especially when some complaints on this topic date back to 2008.

For those of you that want to check your settings in Facebook, do the following: Go To Your Profile > My Money > Update beside "My Preapproved Payments" then "Manage Payments"

So the question is ...In this situation, who is liable in the eyes of the law?

I think in the end you the user will be held liable. Is it right? No of course not but I am sure if you read all the fine print in PayPal and FB user agreements you pretty much agree to give them your first born child should they want it. They don't leave anything like this to change and cover their asses with agreements all users have to agree to. Thanks for bringing this to out attention, it certainly wouldn't have been anything I would have ever thought of.

facebook is super shady and pretty much access any info you have on your computer/smartphone including camera and mic. PayPal is no better they just clean out your bank account at any given time for no given reason. But like previous poster said users are ultimately responsible to know what they sign up for.