Thread: Underaged Negative Closed Paypal

Unhappy Underaged Negative Closed Paypal

Okay so I think this is the right forum to ask this.

So basically I'm only 16 and I made myself a Paypal by hooking it up to my bank account.

I became verified and sold some stuff and that was all good.

But then I started to sell pendants that inexplicably got lost in the mail (without tracking).

I sold a few of these and I think what I made was around the 300-350 range total.(80 a piece)

I imagine that people will start to open claims and disputes over not receiving their packages, and when one customer did I refunded and closed the account in a panic.

That dispute was closed and another just got escalated, only the second one so far. This is all while my account was closed.

Now, I'm worried that all of these other disputes will come flooding in and I'll end up with a -350 balance and debt collectors on me.

I really don't want my parents to be involved and I don't want to be in any legal trouble either.

I haven't slept for the past couple of days just thinking about being sued or getting a visit.

Coincidentally I just switched banks, so I was wondering if that would give me a clean slate if I were to open up another Paypal. I called their customer support and the lady said that the negative balance would just sit there until I decided to open a Paypal account in the future, but I'm worried that debt collectors will come into play here.

What is my best course of action and what will happen in the future???

Thank you for ANY response.

Please anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by sphere View Post
    Okay so I think this is the right forum to ask this.

So basically I'm only 16 and I made myself a Paypal by hooking it up to my bank account.

I became verified and sold some stuff and that was all good.

But then I started to sell pendants that inexplicably got lost in the mail (without tracking).

I sold a few of these and I think what I made was around the 300-350 range total.(80 a piece)

I imagine that people will start to open claims and disputes over not receiving their packages, and when one customer did I refunded and closed the account in a panic.

That dispute was closed and another just got escalated, only the second one so far. This is all while my account was closed.

Now, I'm worried that all of these other disputes will come flooding in and I'll end up with a -350 balance and debt collectors on me.

I really don't want my parents to be involved and I don't want to be in any legal trouble either.

I haven't slept for the past couple of days just thinking about being sued or getting a visit.

Coincidentally I just switched banks, so I was wondering if that would give me a clean slate if I were to open up another Paypal. I called their customer support and the lady said that the negative balance would just sit there until I decided to open a Paypal account in the future, but I'm worried that debt collectors will come into play here.

What is my best course of action and what will happen in the future???

Thank you for ANY response.
    First off, you got no business having a paypal account at 16 so don't even think about opening up another one. Everything you sell using Paypal should be shipped with a tracking number to be covered by seller protection, it is stated right in the User Agreement, if you shipped without tracking number you are not protected as a seller (what's to say you shipped it at all??)

Paypal is not going to come after you for the $350, I really don't see that happening unless you open up another account that they are able to link to the account with the outstanding balance.

BTW who did you become verified if you are only 16? Just curious.

Just do the right thing and pay back the money your customers paid and move on. Lesson learned and now you know just to track everything and get insurance on the packages so if they are lost the delivery carrier is responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHot View Post
    First off, you got no business having a paypal account at 16 so don't even think about opening up another one. Everything you sell using Paypal should be shipped with a tracking number to be covered by seller protection, it is stated right in the User Agreement, if you shipped without tracking number you are not protected as a seller (what's to say you shipped it at all??)

Paypal is not going to come after you for the $350, I really don't see that happening unless you open up another account that they are able to link to the account with the outstanding balance.

BTW who did you become verified if you are only 16? Just curious.
    It's true. You probably shouldn't be handling credit cards at 16. But, I've heard of paypal going after people for such a small amount before. Why wouldn't they now? Are they out of business yet? Agh!