Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under 18 usage

Quote Originally Posted by munnsy1 View Post
    Hey, so when I was younger I made a PayPal account for casual buying (and naturally didn't read the small print).

Recently I have used it to sell products and have hit the 1,900 limit. I have been asked to answer xxx security checks which I don't know the answer to my DOB one. When PayPal freeze my account for being under 18 will I be able to withdraw my funds? Or will I be able to withdraw them when I get to 18? (I am 16).

Any help is appreciated.

Also my most recent transaction was a gift payment by a friend who owed me money, can he refund that himself by saying he didn't authorize it etc?

Thanks.
    Until you are able to pass the security checks which clearly you won't be able to do Paypal is not going to release any funds because it is such a large amount.

I also think that when you reveal that you are underage that will cause you some problems as breaking the terms and conditions will Paypal I doubt that you will be able to make a withdrawal. I think they will take a dim view on you lying about your dob.

All you can do is contact them and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by ACSAPA View Post
    I met a kid once at the post office who had an eBay business and accepted Paypal payments without any legal problems.

How did he do this? His parents were his partners.
    It was the kid's business but his parents had their names on the Paypal account and even drove him to the post office to mail his merchandise.

I don't understand why minors open Paypal accounts, knowing that they could lose all the money, when they could just go to their parents for help.
    Chances are most parents are against what they do and will probably take some of the cash for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ACSAPA View Post
    I met a kid once at the post office who had an eBay business and accepted Paypal payments without any legal problems.

How did he do this? His parents were his partners.
    It was the kid's business but his parents had their names on the Paypal account and even drove him to the post office to mail his merchandise.

I don't understand why minors open Paypal accounts, knowing that they could lose all the money, when they could just go to their parents for help.
    This is the way it should be done.

All you had to do was get your parents to open an account foe you, and you would have avoided this entire mess.

You decided to take shortcuts, and this what happens when you make bad decisions.

Just let it go. Do not get yourself in more trouble than you already are.

Its best to wait until your 18 to get a paypal account, as your not allowed to have one if your under 18. It says so in the terms and conditions. Do a search on google and see if there are any that allow 16 year olds, you never know there might be one. It is best that you cut your losses and let this one go, as you could have got in more trouble since it is illegal, as the other posters pointed out. I had never heard of paypal when I was 16.

Yeah as much as it sucks the best thing you can do right now is just forget about it. I understand how hard that will be, but if you try to "trick" paypal they will figure it out. As we all know PayPal isn't afraid to shut down account if they even suspect something is going on.

While you are clearly in the wrong for opening an account as a minor, Paypal can't commit theft. Paypal may be able to close the account, restrict it or do many other things. What paypal has no grounds to do is hold onto money that isn't theirs. Being in violation of the terms doesn't allow paypal to just keep the balance in an account. Return the money to your friend if you are able to do so. Withdraw any amount you can. Call paypal if you can't.

Sorry for the late replies, if I don't respond till I am 18? What will happen then?

Quote Originally Posted by Didi View Post
    PP clearly said that they don't allow underage people. If they find out, all they can do is close your account.
    Like I said I was alot younger when I made the account so: A) didn't realise the age limit or B) didn't (know enough to) care

Quote Originally Posted by AB9100 View Post
    Personally. I would let it go.

For you to have a Paypal account at 16 means that you used fake information, because Paypal will not allow a minor to open an account.

That is basically fraud. They could file charges against you if they wanted. I suggest you let it go. Let them close the account, and cut your loses. This situation could go bad really fast.
    its not the end of the world as i only have just under 100 in there but it's just annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Lostvalleyguy View Post
    While you are clearly in the wrong for opening an account as a minor, Paypal can't commit theft. Paypal may be able to close the account, restrict it or do many other things. What paypal has no grounds to do is hold onto money that isn't theirs. Being in violation of the terms doesn't allow paypal to just keep the balance in an account. Return the money to your friend if you are able to do so. Withdraw any amount you can. Call paypal if you can't.
    do you suggest calling them before entering my details or after?

Knowing paypal they will see this as an oppurtunity to make more $$. They will probably take your funds and close your account without question. They are just bad business like that. Sorry to hear about this.

Managed to get the majority of my funds out!

As soon as that's processed i'll call them up and explain.