Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't sell on Ebay anymore!!!

Exclamation Can't sell on Ebay anymore!!!

I have been a registered seller on Ebay since 2006 and l have never had no problems now the reason why l loved selling on Ebay was because l would sell something and l would get that money straight away to use and l can tell you that that money came in handy at times. Sometime last year Paypal started holding my money and what they said was this "Ebay sellers now have there money withheld for 21 days and if you can supply a tracking number for postage then it will be released in 8 days". l could not believe it! and l knew that was it for me and l have not sold on Ebay since then, l am now trying to find a alternative which l don't think will be easy, hopefully l can find a alternative on here.

So it's not that you CAN'T sell on Ebay anymore, it's just that you don't want to. Yeah, it's pretty sucky that you have to wait for your money, but I assume they're trying to make the transaction between buyer and seller as safe as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
    So it's not that you CAN'T sell on Ebay anymore, it's just that you don't want to. Yeah, it's pretty sucky that you have to wait for your money, but I assume they're trying to make the transaction between buyer and seller as safe as possible.
    No, in a way she's right. I'm a seller and my funds are being held for 21 days too so I can't sell until the hold is lifted.

That's because selling on eBay involves listing fees, final value fees, shipping costs and Paypal fees, which you don't have if your money is being held for 21 days.

If an item costs $18 to ship and you sell 10 of them, are you supposed to pay that $180 out of your own pocket to ship them because the shipping costs that the buyer paid are being held?

What if I don't have an extra $180 lying around to pay for shipping, which is supposed to be covered by the buyer anyway?

This is just a random example but it shows why the 21 day hold temporarily puts some smaller sellers out of business for a while. We can't afford to spend a month paying to ship items , which we won't see a penny for until almost a month later. That's a month where you're paying money out and getting nothing back.

I suppose once you get the ball rolling and pay the first months fee's then your money will be released. This can then help pay the next months and so on and on.

It's just that starting capital that you need.
    Youtube views: Quick, easy and free!
    [url]http://downloadsafe.org/file/04c8d7[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by ACSAPA View Post
    No, in a way she's right. I'm a seller and my funds are being held for 21 days too so I can't sell until the hold is lifted.

That's because selling on eBay involves listing fees, final value fees, shipping costs and Paypal fees, which you don't have if your money is being held for 21 days.

If an item costs $18 to ship and you sell 10 of them, are you supposed to pay that $180 out of your own pocket to ship them because the shipping costs that the buyer paid are being held?

What if I don't have an extra $180 lying around to pay for shipping, which is supposed to be covered by the buyer anyway?

This is just a random example but it shows why the 21 day hold temporarily puts some smaller sellers out of business for a while. We can't afford to spend a month paying to ship items , which we won't see a penny for until almost a month later. That's a month where you're paying money out and getting nothing back.
    Why on earth would they need to hold your money for as long as 21 days? I mean they could easily check everything in under 7 days! And another 8 days after you supply the tracking number! That is just absurd. I think they are just taking advantage that Ebay is such a large market place and seller can hardly find somewhere else to sell their items.

@notgudenough - Depending on what you sell, Etsy, Gumtree and ePier could be viable alternatives. Have a look at each and see what appeals to you.

Quote Originally Posted by simon31 View Post
    Why on earth would they need to hold your money for as long as 21 days? I mean they could easily check everything in under 7 days! And another 8 days after you supply the tracking number! That is just absurd. I think they are just taking advantage that Ebay is such a large market place and seller can hardly find somewhere else to sell their items.
    I agree, they could check everything within a week. Either they want to give the buyer ample time to file a complaint if they don't like the item, or eBay/Paypal are using the held back funds to earn interest or borrowing the money for something while it's being held.

Quote Originally Posted by ACSAPA View Post

No, I totally see where you're coming from. It does really suck, especially if you need the money from what you've sold to pay for shipping, I was just explaining that it's obviously a security issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
    No, I totally see where you're coming from. It does really suck, especially if you need the money from what you've sold to pay for shipping, I was just explaining that it's obviously a security issue.

For new sellers it's a security issue. For established sellers like me and the OP, it's a punishment.

The maximum amount of low star ratings that a seller can have is 2%,
    I had 2.03% low star ratings for shipping speed. So out of 211 people, 4 people thought I didn't ship fast enough. That .03% which isn't even a whole number, is the reason I can't access my Paypal funds for almost a month.

By the way, those are just the people who left star ratings, 400 people didn't leave feedback at all, so the ratings are based on a fraction of my customers.
    This whole DSR system is a crock.

The maximum amount is 1 percent for item description and 2 percent for the other DSR ratings. The problem is some buyers don't understand the proper way to use these. They enter 3 stars for average when they should put 4 or 5. They don't understand that they're serving as judge, jury, and in some cases, even executioner for sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by simon31 View Post
    Exactly! There is not reason to hold the money that long. It's just because they are PayPal and do whatever they want do to and don't care about their sellers at all. They really only care about their buyers. Frustrating!