Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PayPal's security fails and I have to pay

Default PayPal's security fails and I have to pay

Just sold a laptop that the buyer paid for using a hacked PayPal account. After a long investigation, PayPal finds me to be in the wrong! WTF??? How is it not Paypal's fault that my account was hacked and their security failed. I have to pay for their short comings?

Wait, so was it your account that was hacked or the buyer's? If you mean that your account was hacked and you had no idea about it then that is ridiculous and you should definitely chase after them to get this resolved. I understand that they have to be cautious with things like this but that doesn't make it suck any less.

If you did nothing wrong, refuse to pay. Explain to them why you are in the right. If they refuse to acknowledge that you are right talk to a lawyer. If he/she thinks you have a case return to PayPal. Usually just the threat of a lawsuit is enough for them to stop trying to take advantage of you. If not take them to court. Sorry that this had to happen to you.

This is crazy. I suppose they should have to give the money back to the person that the account belonged to, but there should be some sort of insurance so that you either get your laptop back or the money for the laptop. You didn't do anything wrong or illegal, so you shouldn't be the one getting punished while the hacker gets away with a free laptop. Where did you sell it? On ebay there is buyer protection so ebay itself would pay you back the money (after you fight with them a lot to prove it to them that you got ripped off, and after you jump through a lot of hoops, but you get it back eventually.)

How do you know the account was hacked?
    Youtube views: Quick, easy and free!
    [url]http://downloadsafe.org/file/04c8d7[/url]

That sucks dude. I say do what idlecuriosities said to do. I mean you are not in the wrong they just want somebody else to blame.

I have had similar issues with PayPal, such as.. When i send a payment after clicking the final confirmation button it logs me out.. half the time it will send the payment the other half it wont. Causing me to miss deadlines. Losing customers.

Well if someone else's account was used to pay for goods they didn't order, they should have the right to get their money back and you should get your products back. Now from what I gather, Paypal can only handle...well... the situations that they can handle. And that is the money that goes through them.

So the buyer used a hijacked account to pay for you, it seems. This is clearly not your fault. If PayPal is threatening you to pay up, you can take legal action against them. I am sure a talk with their representative will clear up this situation.

This is horrible, why would you pay for their mistakes??