Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PayPal part of scam

This is because of the malware that infested your system. Maybe PayPal have added it as a recurring expense to your credit card details. You should check it with PayPal website or support center.

Be patient and wait on the phone - I assume they have put you on hold in some sort of queue. The folks at paypal are experts in reversing charges, so you may be not in as bad shape as you think. You can't let this continue or it will be your problem to pay for the false charges. Legally you will need to be able to show that you made a reasonable effort to let Paypal know there was a problem or you are on the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by batman57 View Post
    Paypal makes unauthorized payments and won't stop! I made the mistake of buying "speedmyPC" software package, essentially malware, it sucks. and sets of norton, and opens up a vulnerability to hijacking by email spammers. and that company has been making recurring charges to my paypal account which paypal will not stop or refund. Speedmypc's email accounts reject any attempts to contact them via email at their server and their "customer service" number is always busy. It is a scam and paypal is part of it.
    Although I think that PayPal has questionable business tactics, I doubt it is part of the scam you are talking about. The "speedmyPC" package is full of adware and malware, and I would uninstall in immediately. Not sure if you'll be able to get your money back, but it is a nuisance.

It's sucky of them to do that but maybe paypal doesn't realise it's a scam? You should have checked the software out before you paid for and downloaded it. You would have realised it was a scam sooner rather than later.

Sounds like you are the victim of some kind of malware. It's likely that this malware has stolen some of your personal data and is responsible for the charges to your PayPal account. I would change all of your passwords and get the malware removed immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPlatypus View Post
    I actually think that this time it is your fault and not paypal's fault, because you were stupid enough to buy the malware without checking it out in the first place, and allowing automatic payments.

You might want close your account ASAP and cancel the credit cards or bank account, maybe contact your bank to try and reverse the charges?
    I disagree with this. The problem is not the malware. The problem is that he cannot put a stop on the recurring charges. Paypal is the Payment processor so it is their fault. If it was a credit card you could just charge back, and have them block any additional charges.
    It's just business!

I understand that you are frustrated about this and for sure things like this shouldn't happen. But instead of assuming PayPal is in on this, you should get in contact with them and ask for help. You should open claims for all the transactions that were not authorized and let them investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle910 View Post
    I disagree with this. The problem is not the malware. The problem is that he cannot put a stop on the recurring charges. Paypal is the Payment processor so it is their fault. If it was a credit card you could just charge back, and have them block any additional charges.
    Well actually it is the malware, because the malware is allowing a corrupt individual/company to make false charges. If someone performs identity theft they are the one at fault not the credit card company to apply to or the bank to take money from. I mean you mention credit card without apparently realizing that the same thing applies - you have to prove it isn't your fault in the first place.

I wouldn't say PayPal is the scam, I would say the company that is taking money from you via PayPal is the scam. With that said, PayPal really does need to do a better job at protecting their users.

Quote Originally Posted by Esperahol View Post
    Well actually it is the malware, because the malware is allowing a corrupt individual/company to make false charges. If someone performs identity theft they are the one at fault not the credit card company to apply to or the bank to take money from. I mean you mention credit card without apparently realizing that the same thing applies - you have to prove it isn't your fault in the first place.
    It is not malware because he signed up to be enrolled in the auto pay system when he bought the software. He obviously did not read the fine print. I have heard this story so many times before.
    It's just business!