Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PayPal part of scam

As much as I am not really fond of Paypal, I doubt they are directly involved in this. My guess is that the payment site for your malware purchase is not the original Paypal site. It may have been a phishing site and you fell victim for it. The best thing you can do now is to change all of your passwords and call your bank to cancel the Paypal charges on your credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle910 View Post
    It is not malware because he signed up to be enrolled in the auto pay system when he bought the software. He obviously did not read the fine print. I have heard this story so many times before.
    Great - so you admit it is in fact his fault versus PayPal, because he voluntarily put himself into this position by not reading the find print.

I've been though lots of shit with them. I had $750 which at the time, in my early 20's, was a lot for me. I sent Paypal an e-mail from a Hotmail account where I pretended to be an attorney stating stuff like 'my client has sent you all the information you required and you have still not released the funds' or something. I don't know if it worked but my funds were released 10-14 days later. I got my money out of there.

As others have commented, you should understand that PayPal is not in cahoots w/ that software vendor. And moreover, it should be within your powers to stop the monthly auto-deduction from your PayPal account. Just do a Basic Search on "Subscriptions" or "Recurring Payments", identify the vendor, and click on the option to cancel payments.

Good Luck!

PayPal isnt a scam but they are definitively letting the scammers do what they want!

Don't beat this guy up so much. We all make mistakes that seemed reasonable at the time. (Don't ask me about my first wife.)

Some sellers can slide into PP to make your payment a recurring charge. You can easily search online and find out how to remove them. PP doesn't make it easy. When I went into that page I found a bunch of info saved there from legitimate companies with whom I'd done a one time payment. Unless there is a compelling reason to don't use PP for this purpose. If you are absent minded automatic billing can be a convenience but I don't think it is worth the security issues. I set my calendar on my phone to remind me of such dates.

Steve

Hope you find a solution soon, Batman, but I agree with some of the folks here. Paypal is not directly involved with the scam, but you need to do something regarding those recurring charges. I don't normally agree with Paypal's policies, but they seem to have preferential option towards buyers instead of the sellers so you could go ahead and dispute every recurring charge made on your account. If this doesn't work, I have two words-- classic Paypal. They're never helpful when you need their help!

As for the malware, you could reformat your PC or get an expert to help you with it. I don't know what you have to do, you just need to get rid of the malware, stat! Any attempts of contacting Speedmypc at this point is futile-- they're running a scam, they don't want to be contacted. Hit them where it hurts: dispute all charges they've made, get rid of their authority to automatically charge your Paypal and if necessary, close your Paypal account.