Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PayPal will take your money if you are a seller

Unfortunately you should always use craigslist or other sites whenever you can! PayPal simply doesnt care about the protection of its users.

Quote Originally Posted by MagPie View Post
    i sold something on ebay for $30 and when i tried to reason with the buyer he opened a dispute witch took the $30 out of my account

i know $30 is no big deal but i am glad i found out now instead of later if i make a big purchase

paypal is so concerned for the buyer that they open the door to scamers. I will still use it when there is no other option but never for more then I can afford to lose.
    That's because at the end of the day they will make more money from buyers than the sellers themselves, doesn't make much sense, well here's how it works, at the end of the day they want to keep buyers coming back, so if they have a dispute they will immediately almost without thinking side with the buyer, illegal yes but in a sense it is good business sense, because it means that the buyers feel more comfortable using paypal, however on the flip side it is fraud, and it is incredibly unfair that there is pretty much no protection for sellers, which is why I would never use Paypal again for selling.

That is ridiculous! I was thinking about selling using Paypal but now I definitely won't. I have used Paypal to buy before and have had issues but I thought it might be better as a seller. Thanks for the warning, I'll be taking my business elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by MagPie View Post
    i sold something on ebay for $30 and when i tried to reason with the buyer he opened a dispute witch took the $30 out of my account

i know $30 is no big deal but i am glad i found out now instead of later if i make a big purchase

paypal is so concerned for the buyer that they open the door to scamers. I will still use it when there is no other option but never for more then I can afford to lose.
    Well that's life. Although 30 dollars is pretty small compared to those who had lost transactions amounting to thousands. Avoid E-bay at all costs.

Seems like Paypal is good only if you plan on using it to buy stuffs, not to sell stuffs. Their customer protection only protects the buyer side most of the time, the sellers are more prone to risk on being scammed. Once your buyer open a dispute against you, it is going to take a lot of your time to prove your innocence and get your money back if Paypal is willing to sort it out.

That really sucks! I'm sorry that happened to you. Thank god it was only $30 though and not much more.

This is a classic scenario with PayPal. There is no security for sellers in PayPal. The buyer can simply file a charge back and get away with it. I am glad that you only lost $30 in this. I suggest you to use PayPal alternatives instead.

Their fraud protection policy was designed to protect the customer rather than the seller, making it more vulnerable for abuse. I lost a lot of money due to Paypal's unhelpful fraud protection policy-- I've been the victim of so many fraudulent transactions and Paypal has not lifted a finger to assist me. Their tracking ID feature doesn't help either. However, life goes on, and I am using a Paypal alternative for most of my transactions. Trivial stuff is still done through Paypal because a lot of online stores think PP is the only payment gateway in the universe.

I highly suggest you clear out your Paypal account in between transactions. Don't keep too much $$$ in your Paypal if you are using it for your store. Risks are damn high!