Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am scared and need help

Default I am scared and need help

Hello, i'm going to start out by saying i'm scared.
    i am a 17 year old guy who had opened a paypal account in order to start accepting money for the minor website services i do and the servers that i run.
    my account today was put into limited mode.
    i don't know if it can escalate from here, or if there is anything i can do because i am under age.
    i have transferred what was left in my account (all of 70$) to my bank account so if it does get closed down, i shouldn't lose that money. however i won't breathe a sigh of relief until my transfer completes and a 150$ i made for an electronic is completed on the 4th.

what should i do?
    is there anything i can do?
    what will happen to the processing payment i made to the ebay customer?

please help i am secretly really scared.

First of all, you have lied about your age to sign up for PayPal. This may not look good for you because they have a probable cause (a strong one) as you violate their TOS. For now, just withdraw whatever amount you are allowed to and hope for the best.

There isn't much you can do right now, you're 17 which is under PayPal's legal age requirement of 18. You should have known with PayPal that you were under the risk of getting a limitation and possibly not being able to access that money which did happen. So really it's not PayPal's fault. Sure you should be able to withdraw that money and you might even be able to. But you did break their ToS.

Quote Originally Posted by autograph View Post
    First of all, you have lied about your age to sign up for PayPal. This may not look good for you because they have a probable cause (a strong one) as you violate their TOS. For now, just withdraw whatever amount you are allowed to and hope for the best.
    I completely agree with this. I'm really sorry to say it but you aren't old enough to even start an account. As soon as they ask for your information (which they will) you are screwed.

You're screwed the pooch on this one, do an "organized retreat". Get your money out, cancel any payments you have going there if at all possible. You lied about your age and there isn't really anything you can do about it except cover your ass and get everything out. Best of luck to you.

Like the others have said it would be best to just try to withdraw the money. PayPal did not mess up in any way here. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Chia; 03-02-2014 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian111 View Post
    Hello, i'm going to start out by saying i'm scared.
    i am a 17 year old guy who had opened a paypal account in order to start accepting money for the minor website services i do and the servers that i run.
    my account today was put into limited mode.
    i don't know if it can escalate from here, or if there is anything i can do because i am under age.
    i have transferred what was left in my account (all of 70$) to my bank account so if it does get closed down, i shouldn't lose that money. however i won't breathe a sigh of relief until my transfer completes and a 150$ i made for an electronic is completed on the 4th.

what should i do?
    is there anything i can do?
    what will happen to the processing payment i made to the ebay customer?

please help i am secretly really scared.
    Did you call Paypal and find out exactly what the issues were? Maybe its a case where you needed to verify the account with a credit card

Default Not screwed

Get your parents involved and put it back onto Paypal for not doing a better job of making sure people are legally able to open accounts. Shoot as smart and tech savy as teens are these days, there are probably 1000's of them. Maybe you get a job out of it for teaching them how to be responsible for their business. Never, ever do anything out of FEAR!

You have to be 18 to have a Paypal account, unless it is a teen account under your parent's account. I would just wait and see if everything goes well. If it doesn't, and they find out you are 17, you are out of luck.

As people have said withdraw what you can, that said you did break PayPal's ToS. I've heard if you're under 18 and you account goes into negative if you let PayPal know they will not limit or delete your account but freeze it until you're 18, worth keeping in mind.