Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can PayPal take money from my bank account after cancelling the direct debit?

Default Can PayPal take money from my bank account after cancelling the direct debit?

Some background:

I sold an airsoft gun to someone who, after it arrived, claimed it was damaged and has been steadily increasing the amount he wants refunded. When I asked for pictured of the damage he mysteriously disappeared and won't talk to me. He's now opened a claim against me. I highly doubt I'd win the case, so I'm now protecting myself.

I'll have to eat the 15 loss for what was in the account, I understand that. However, can PayPal take the other 110 from my bank account after I cancelled the Direct Debit at the bank? Or is it safe? I literally do not have 110 anymore, and I'm unemployed, so I hope they can't. Is it safe?

Thanks in advance

They can't take it out of your bank account as far as I know.
    I would try to get Paypal to rule in your favor.
    Don't start pulling out because it would seem you are already accepting your defeat.

They shouldn't take the money out of your bank even if they could, I believe your PayPal balance (if you don't have the funds to pay) will go negative. Surely PayPal will side with you though. Good luck man.

Your account will most likely be put into a negative balance and until you resolve the debt you won't be able to make further transactions.

In the past this was something of a common complaint against PayPal. However, in more recent years I haven't heard of this happening. Most likely your balance will fall into the negative, but your bank account should be fine. If you're still worried you could just try withdrawing what's in the bank and keeping it in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    They can't take it out of your bank account as far as I know.
    I would try to get Paypal to rule in your favor.
    Don't start pulling out because it would seem you are already accepting your defeat.
    Oh I have no intention of giving up. Unfortunately, in the past when this has happened, PayPal ruled in the buyers favour despite all the evidence to the contrary. The difference this time is I managed to unlink everything before they opened the claim, this time, the bank account is still linked (and, of course, I cant unlink it while in negative balance). Hence the question about them withdrawing it if I've revoked their direct debit permissions with the bank.

They shouldn't be able to. Like someone else said, I've heard of that before, but I haven't seen any complaints about it lately. You should be fine, but I'd try to get it resolved ASAP.

I would assume they will just ban your Paypal account.

Just tell them that they will not show you the damaged airsoft gun so you can see wither it was or not.

Make Paypal acknowledge that you tried working with the buyer and he provided no proof. Do not back out as that implies guilt and acceptance. Your bank account should be safe although you may go negative, Paypal should side with you. They can be erratic but they have some common sense (Normally).