Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nigerian Scammers?!

Some of these scams that they try to send out are hilarious. Especially the "heir to the throne" scam. Can't believe people actually fall for this. If you were actually the heir to the throne of anything, a Mercedes-Benz would come to your door and tell you to pack your stuff.
    Earn money for chatting with other people. [url]http://www.diskussable.com[/url]

If you are going to be on the internet you have to take some precautions. Some of the scams (you are the closest living heir to...) are so downright obvious, they are laughable. Others are far more subtle.

Here is one I received the other day:
    Apparently Paypal needed a verification on my account. The request looked legitimate - and I had just set up some new stuff on it so it also was timely. Fortunately for me, it came into an email account that was not linked to paypal and that made me suspicious. Upon further inspection it came from Japan through Aruba. The grammar was weak, but not so bad that I noticed it on the first inspection.

I reported the scam to paypal so at least they are aware of it. I wonder if some of the complaints on here stem from people falling for these scams rather than from Paypal itself?

Quote Originally Posted by pr0xx1d View Post
    Some of these scams that they try to send out are hilarious. Especially the "heir to the throne" scam. Can't believe people actually fall for this. If you were actually the heir to the throne of anything, a Mercedes-Benz would come to your door and tell you to pack your stuff.
    You got it all wrong a guy will roll up in a rolls royce and a red carpet rolls out of it and tells you that you are now the king or queen of yada yada. And then they will ask to help the Nigerian prince before you become King/Queen though

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    No offence but whoever falls for a scam like that is at least incredibly stupid. Whenever I hear about someone getting scammed by those standard scams, I can't keep myself from thinking those people are just stupid. Everyone knows these scams exist and they have even made the news so it's pretty stupid not to know them.
    Exactly, I'm afraid I have to agree with you on this matter, especially due to the fact that most are poorly written and are obvious fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by pr0xx1d View Post
    People would believe anything these days if it meant getting them some money.

I've gotten quite a few of the scammy emails myself. It's sad that there are so many people who fall victim to this scam. Are they naive? Of course. But, it still isn't right that others get their jollies off scamming people.

A friend of my father likes the collect these scam e-mails, as their stories of Nigerian billionaire princes and princesses can be rather humorous. I do feel for people who have fallen for it though, it may seem stupid but the blame still lies on the scammer who is doing an illegal activity. Even worse are the phone scams which can be more personal and convincing. Be careful out there.

The scammers recently contacted me to try and get me to fall for the "send us money and you will be rewarded" game. The email was so long that I could not even finish it just for the humor. I remember it was a "historical account" about some kingdom and the grammer was terrible. There are people who don't understand that these scams exist and can fall for them. At one point we all had to learn about them too. It is important to spread the word and educate everyone.

I really couldn't care less about the "Nigerian" scammers - I worry more about the phishers. Those guys put a lot of effort into scamming the ever living heck out of people.

I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but most of the Nigerian scams have disappeared and moved over to scammers in the U.K.. There are several documentaries that point this out.
    Earn money for chatting with other people. [url]http://www.diskussable.com[/url]