Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think I'm being scammed, need advice

Default Think I'm being scammed, need advice

I inquired to a job on craigslist that asked for an office admin,I emailed the guy back with my name resume and phone number,he bypassed all that info and asked me to reply back to him with my name,phone number, and paypal account or bank account. According to him the company only does direct deposit. I for some reason gave him all the info he asked for and he deposited $260 to my paypal account he then asked me to pull out as fast as possible,at that point I got suspicious and went to my local police department and informed then what was going,they advised me to contact my bank and close my account,so I did. The money bounced back to my paypal account and he know wants me to send it back to him...should I keep this money? Or send it back to this guy? I know nothing about him and not sure what to do.

Hm this is a strange one.

Leave the money sitting in your account. He will go through a reversal to try and claim it back which may well be unsuccessful. I wouldn't bother sending it back if it is still in your account in a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by rossonomous View Post
    Hm this is a strange one.

Leave the money sitting in your account. He will go through a reversal to try and claim it back which may well be unsuccessful. I wouldn't bother sending it back if it is still in your account in a month or so.
    This is quite the strange story indeed. I would 100% agree with leaving the money in your account. The whole story sound dodgy from the start.

Leave it in the account, don't do anything with it.
    I'm assuming he was going to charge back the deposit and have the money withdrawn from your bank account but I'm not sure how he can make a profit off of that.
    Don't send it back to him, as soon as he tries to get it back, inform Paypal that he is scamming you.

Eh, he has all of your information?
    Not sure how I feel about that...
    But yeah, one of the best options is just to leave it there and wait for something to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    Leave it in the account, don't do anything with it.
    I'm assuming he was going to charge back the deposit and have the money withdrawn from your bank account but I'm not sure how he can make a profit off of that.
    Don't send it back to him, as soon as he tries to get it back, inform Paypal that he is scamming you.
    Well what the guy could have done if he did withdraw the money, would be the "company" do a reversal and then he asks the guy for the money he sent them, maybe bs a reason like to show trust and such. He gets the cash and money reversed.

That is very strange. I assume you didn't actually do any work for him to warrant receiving $260? My thoughts are that perhaps he has already scammed someone else, and he has sent you the money for "safe-keeping" and planned to ask for it back later. Maybe it isn't his Paypal account and the $260 was charged to someone elses credit card, something like that.

I would try to be as uninvolved as possible. You have already contacted the police so your back is probably covered here, but I would just keep the money in your account for a while and see what they do next. Don't withdraw it. If I am right about it being someone elses money, they may recover the account eventually and if you still have it you could send it back then. This is all hypothetical, but I just think the safest thing to do is leave it in your account and see how it progresses.

Did you actually speak with this man or have enough contact with him to get a general feel for the type of person he is?

Default I would go further

With contacting craigslist about his ad, with Paypal about this money and then I would blog about his supposed job. Admin jobs trust me I know get scammed the worst! I was an Admin and I got sent all kinds of things I didn't know what to do with. I never had this happen but I would expose him. You have done nothing wrong so now worries. Just don't give out your personal info again!

Trust your instinct here. Don't give out any more personal info again and be careful to trust him. If you have not talked about this with him in PERSON then do not do it. He's probably a trained scammer!
    Earn money for chatting with other people. [url]http://www.diskussable.com[/url]