Thread: Need help with PayPal question

Default Need help with PayPal question

I sold something on Ebay and the buyer said it didn't match the description. I am fine with refunding the money but I am paying for shipping and not just any shipping but for some reason first class shipping. The person opened up a case and eventually the funds will be automatically subtracted from my account. If I take out all of the money myself before hand what will happen? If that can't be done maybe I can use some of the buyer of the items scammers tricks by demanding proof of payment on shipping.

The mostly likely outcome is that your account will end up in the minus and you will have to credit the funds back to the account, in order to resume normal service as it were.

Yep, as mentioned, you will get a negative balance and papal will try to debit your bank card for the money you owe them.

When selling, can't you set up a returns policy that states the buyer must pay return shipping?
    Youtube views: Quick, easy and free!
    [url]http://downloadsafe.org/file/04c8d7[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by rossonomous View Post
    Yep, as mentioned, you will get a negative balance and papal will try to debit your bank card for the money you owe them.

When selling, can't you set up a returns policy that states the buyer must pay return shipping?
    Actually, when you're listing an auction, ebay does give you the option to put "Buyer pays return shipping." as a condition of your return policy.
    I always check that box because I'm not going to pay someone to return an item to me.

Like the others have explained, paypal will just put your account into negative and try to take the money from you through a debit or credit card linked to your account.

Even when I return an item to a brick and mortar store, there is sometimes a restocking fee. Billing for the cost to return an item is a perfectly acceptable practice you could even add a restocking charge. The key thing here is to ensure that you have set up your policy in advance. You can't add a charge after the fact as a seller. Place it clearly in your EBay ad.

Do not take the money out of your Paypal account. Or, at least don't spend it. It sounds like you accepted the return because the item wasn't quite the way you described. If the item comes back in good shape, the buyer is entitled to the refund. Next time you list it, make note of your error in the listing and correct it.

If you take the money out of the account, you will get limited anyway because you will create a debt.
    Please don't do this as you it will cause a lot of trouble for yourself.

Next time, post rules about returning items on your Ebay page. I have seen a lot of articles stating they don't pay for return shipping.

At this point there are limited things you can do. Either try reasoning with Ebay or paypal and the buyer or you could just comply with what Paypal/Ebay is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ACSAPA View Post
    Actually, when you're listing an auction, ebay does give you the option to put "Buyer pays return shipping." as a condition of your return policy.
    I always check that box because I'm not going to pay someone to return an item to me.
    Yeah that's what I thought. Simple checkbox can save a fair bit of money!
    Youtube views: Quick, easy and free!
    [url]http://downloadsafe.org/file/04c8d7[/url]

This will result in limiting your account. I think the best way is to deal with the customer by providing him his refund. PayPal provides zero seller security. So you are better off by refunding the buyer.