Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Was Ripped Off for $1425 PP Says They'll Forgive $100

It is over and I mostly won. I never was going to hire a lawyer. I've hired them before and they are not cheap. It would have cost more than the total unless I won big. I did try to do a police report and my local Sheriff's office blew me off again.

I did write a big mail that I sent certified to a bunch of people. That included the State Attorney General, the Collection Agency PP had signed over some of the debt and these:

PayPal, Inc.
    Attn: Unauthorized account Access Appeal
    P.O. Box 45950
    Omaha, NE 68145

PayPal Inc.
    2211 North First Street
    San Jose, CA 95131

BBB of Los Angeles and Silicon Valley
    Los Angeles, Santa Clara, San Benito, Santa Cruz, and Monterey
    1112 S. Bascom Ave.
    San Jose, CA 95128

I explained the situation first in general terms and then went into the specifics and made a big point of their refusal to show any proof. I had to rewrite as bunch of times until it wan't angry, just snarky in places. I demanded they prove it or drop it. Starting yesterday they dropped it. I started getting emails that the transactions were being reversed with no mention that they accepted them as fraud but still reversed. The last of them came through this morning.

I'm now getting calls from my Credit card company since it looks like this reversal is going against the merchants. At least one of them is a real victim and I feel for them if they weren't part of it. It looks like PP gets its money and they're moving away from me to the other guys so it isn't absolutely over.

I made a jerk of myself by refusing to let them roll over me and that's all I can suggest. If they really wanted to they could crush me, I just made it inconvenient.

If they had come up with some sort of proof my next line would have been to attack it. I do have one advantage in that I'm friends with two computer security experts. The problem is that they became anti-piracy experts by being pirates and getting busted. They figured being a well paid anti-piracy expert beat prison. They are deeply reluctant to put their names out in public because of this. They felt that Paypal's claims of being able to detect spoofing were hot air and from their current hanging out on pirate boards that PP is regarded as one of the better places to hack.

I still have a Bill-Me_later balance of real stuff and I'm going to pay it off as quickly as possible and cancel this account. I really feel sorry for people who are ebay sellers and need PP. It has been an education.

Steve

This is really sad to know. You have to take the advice from a lawyer in this matter. Also try calling and talking to PayPal representatives directly. Also remember to preserve any proof of document regarding bank account and PayPal account. You will need this. Best of luck, OP.

I'm so glad this was sorted out for you although it's down right ridiculous that you had to go through all that first.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
    I'm so glad this was sorted out for you although it's down right ridiculous that you had to go through all that first.
    Nothing is ridicolous when you are working with PayPal unfortunately.

Not really sure what your options are. This is really a ripoff by PayPal, unbelievable that something like this is even possible. I feel bad for you man.

Quote Originally Posted by InColorado View Post
    I've been a long time ebay seller & buyer. Not big, but regular. I got pretty grumpy about a customer from hell over the holidays and had decided to stop selling but buy every so often.

I use Gmail for my email and my ebay, PP and Gmail passwords are strong and different. I'm pretty cautious about using browsers and check for malware.

Monday I got a delivery notice from something I had bought that I didn't know about. It was to someone with a name similar to mine in a different state. I checked PP and saw nothing but changed my password to be safe. I logged onto my bank and damned near fainted. Lots of transactions marked PP. I went to the credit card tied to PP and the same had happened there. $1425 in transactions and about a $1000 more denied since I keep a small credit card and bank account tied to PP since I've never trusted PP. I spent the rest of the day challenging the transactions getting a new card and bank account. I thought it was another account but Tuesday 8 completed and about 5 denied transaction hit PP. I immediately disputed them and opened 8 claims. PP works fast. Thursday I got:

"We have completed our investigation of your case and, as there is
    insufficient evidence in support of your claim, we have denied your
    Unauthorized Account Use Claim."

A little later in the day they decided that a $100 one rally was fake. Today I sent a cranky letter demanding what they used to decide. I'm kind of worried. I'd lurked here before after PP jacked me around a bit but just joined. It looks like the bank and credit card people will agree but I'm not so sure about PP. I'm thinking I should keep it moving since ebay/PP seem like they like to screw people after 30 days.

I'm considering a registered letter to PP copied to whoever. Suggestions? Better Business Bureau? Attorney General? I certainly don't want to be on the hook for PP for over $1300.
    Like everyone is saying keep bugging them, or go the BBB. I just do not see how it is possible that PP go a hold of your Credit card. Is it linked to PP?
    EDIT: Cancel everything I said, I just saw that you resolved it.

I am happy its all sorted out, a rare story!

That is a lot of money to lose to scams. That is why I use Payoneer account linked to PayPal so that if it is hacked I will not lose any money I always withdraw the money once I have got it.
    Professional Article Writing services at affordable prices [URL="http://www.contentneed.com"]contentneed.com[/URL]

Lol. That's just salt on the wound. $100... you have to be kidding me! Paypal really does suck sometimes!
    Earn money for chatting with other people. [url]http://www.diskussable.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by pr0xx1d View Post
    Lol. That's just salt on the wound. $100... you have to be kidding me! Paypal really does suck sometimes!
    Yeah! Who gives them the right anyway to decide how much to "forgive". Imagine if they got scammed somehow, and a judge decided to forgive them 10%!