Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Was Ripped Off for $1425 PP Says They'll Forgive $100

Go to the police station and explain what's going on. Identity theft is a federal crime, as bad as someone breaking into your home and physically stealing your items. $1400 is a lot of money. This is very serious and Paypal as usual is not going to be a lot of help. Are credit cards involved in this? Whatever you do, go to the authorities for more assistance.

Like others have said, Attorney General and BBB are good places to start. After that, I would look into a court case. You would need to hire a lawyer (probably on contingency fee as it gets really expensive to sue a large corporation).
    Earn money for chatting with other people. [url]http://www.diskussable.com[/url]

File a case or a suit against paypal and all the other people involved, including your bank and your credit card company. Negligence on the part of your credit card company and bank since they should have contacted you and confirmed the transactions that have been made in your account. File a claim for damages against paypal and against your bank and credit card company if possible. Usually you can get relief from the courts of justice which is a good way to get your money back.

Damn.. That really sucks man. I hope you get all your money, that can be a lot of money to someone!

I've been writing and rewriting my next letter and figuring out who to copy it to. It looks like the BBB prefers mail to be sent to the local branch. Who do I use for PP? They are based in California but the dispute resolution people are around Omaha NE using a PO box. My BBB search showed several addresses in the Omaha area.

I'm also getting worried I might be screwed for the money. Hiring a lawyer here in Colorado seems like a easier way to go broke than paying the extortion. Are there any similar ongoing cases I could join?

I spoke to a PP droid and spent time with a hard core nasty type. She said that they denied my disputes because all these fake purchases came from my home IP address. She also said that they can detect spoofing so it really came from my house. I live with my wife who is barely computer literate and couldn't use mine. I keep a strong password on my laptop which is Ubuntu 12.04 and have a DSL firewall running. Does anybody know of spoofing fraud that has been used against PP? Nobody else lives there or comes uninvited. Their response would be enough to make a cop type or any legal, not technical rule against me.

They're quite prepared to go to collections against me so I'm not sure what to do next. I'm glad I procrastinated since it seems to me that all the other parties I was planning to involve and was suggested would be of no use here.

It is pretty damned depressing and would be happy for any helpful suggestions. Banks and credit card companies are good fighting fraud since they lose money off it. PP loves it since crime pays for them.

Steve

Oh, wow. That is such a horrible situation! In regards to which address to send your letter to, I would send one to each. Send it via certified mail so that you have proof that it was received.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnieann5275 View Post
    Go to the police station and explain what's going on. Identity theft is a federal crime, as bad as someone breaking into your home and physically stealing your items. $1400 is a lot of money. This is very serious and Paypal as usual is not going to be a lot of help. Are credit cards involved in this? Whatever you do, go to the authorities for more assistance.
    I completely agree! This is a very serious and urgent matter and unfortunately we cant help you here as much as you can be helped by the authorities and professionals. Go to them ASAP!

That is ridiculous! Have you talked to your bank about the situation? It seems that they have a horrible policy when it comes to getting your money back, in either direction. You were ripped off and you deserve to get your money back!

That is extremely crazy if this actually happened. Definitely try to speak to the BBB or AG, you obviously didn't make those purchases. Can't you show them that you have never shipped to that address and show the similarity between names? It is still crazy that happened though, there might be a keylogger on your computer, I'd definitely run an antivirus just to be sure, and change your passwords using a DIFFERENT computer, a phone even.

That really calls for an attorney. Not just for PP but what ever is going on with your bank cards. That is some seriously messed up stuff man.