Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Was Ripped Off for $1425 PP Says They'll Forgive $100

Default I Was Ripped Off for $1425 PP Says They'll Forgive $100

I've been a long time ebay seller & buyer. Not big, but regular. I got pretty grumpy about a customer from hell over the holidays and had decided to stop selling but buy every so often.

I use Gmail for my email and my ebay, PP and Gmail passwords are strong and different. I'm pretty cautious about using browsers and check for malware.

Monday I got a delivery notice from something I had bought that I didn't know about. It was to someone with a name similar to mine in a different state. I checked PP and saw nothing but changed my password to be safe. I logged onto my bank and damned near fainted. Lots of transactions marked PP. I went to the credit card tied to PP and the same had happened there. $1425 in transactions and about a $1000 more denied since I keep a small credit card and bank account tied to PP since I've never trusted PP. I spent the rest of the day challenging the transactions getting a new card and bank account. I thought it was another account but Tuesday 8 completed and about 5 denied transaction hit PP. I immediately disputed them and opened 8 claims. PP works fast. Thursday I got:

"We have completed our investigation of your case and, as there is
    insufficient evidence in support of your claim, we have denied your
    Unauthorized Account Use Claim."

A little later in the day they decided that a $100 one rally was fake. Today I sent a cranky letter demanding what they used to decide. I'm kind of worried. I'd lurked here before after PP jacked me around a bit but just joined. It looks like the bank and credit card people will agree but I'm not so sure about PP. I'm thinking I should keep it moving since ebay/PP seem like they like to screw people after 30 days.

I'm considering a registered letter to PP copied to whoever. Suggestions? Better Business Bureau? Attorney General? I certainly don't want to be on the hook for PP for over $1300.

Quote Originally Posted by InColorado View Post
    I've been a long time ebay seller & buyer. Not big, but regular. I got pretty grumpy about a customer from hell over the holidays and had decided to stop selling but buy every so often.

I use Gmail for my email and my ebay, PP and Gmail passwords are strong and different. I'm pretty cautious about using browsers and check for malware.

Monday I got a delivery notice from something I had bought that I didn't know about. It was to someone with a name similar to mine in a different state. I checked PP and saw nothing but changed my password to be safe. I logged onto my bank and damned near fainted. Lots of transactions marked PP. I went to the credit card tied to PP and the same had happened there. $1425 in transactions and about a $1000 more denied since I keep a small credit card and bank account tied to PP since I've never trusted PP. I spent the rest of the day challenging the transactions getting a new card and bank account. I thought it was another account but Tuesday 8 completed and about 5 denied transaction hit PP. I immediately disputed them and opened 8 claims. PP works fast. Thursday I got:

A little later in the day they decided that a $100 one rally was fake. Today I sent a cranky letter demanding what they used to decide. I'm kind of worried. I'd lurked here before after PP jacked me around a bit but just joined. It looks like the bank and credit card people will agree but I'm not so sure about PP. I'm thinking I should keep it moving since ebay/PP seem like they like to screw people after 30 days.

I'm considering a registered letter to PP copied to whoever. Suggestions? Better Business Bureau? Attorney General? I certainly don't want to be on the hook for PP for over $1300.
    Dude that is crazy. Do it to all them the Attorney General and BBB is pretty good starts. Why not sit down write them a formal letter explaining your situation then after that see if your credit card company will reverse those transactions.

You should continue bugging them ebcause it is evident that all the transactions are fake. You should also explore your legal options in this one and proceed with court!

Quote Originally Posted by InColorado View Post

WOW. This seems totally crazy. Can't believe this happened to you !!! I'm in total shock.

Get a statement from your bank saying that you blocked all the associated cards and that you are trying to revert all payments.
    If you provide this information to Paypal, you have a bigger chance of getting the benefit of the doubt if they don't have any other evidence.

Wow I can't believe someone managed to spend so much money on your account, and in a different state, without any red flags going off in the system. I want to know is how that person got a hold of your account. I hope you are able to get refunded the money and clear up your credit.

I think I agree with Delusional and get bank statements of you trying to cancel all of the payments. I'd also keep records of the payments the other person made to show that it the purchases are coming from a different state.

Since it's fraud, file a police report with your local police station (the police are required to take the report). Get a copy of the report and send it in to PayPal. PayPal really has no leg to stand on here, just stick your guns and fight it out.

This is really absurd. I really do not understand how PayPal could work out that your claim is lacking sufficient evidence. As others mentioned, print out the information from your bank account to support your claim to PayPal. If all else fails, lawyer up and hope for the best.

That is something that is happening a lot lately. People contacting PP and SE them through phone telling them that they are you and let them give you all your information and then they can use your PAypal account and your cards and paypal wont stop them.

Don't you have to like, answer some security questions that only you would know for Paypal to give access to your account? thats why its important never to share information with anyone not even family members, espcially via mediums like texts or emails.