Thread: Fell for a scam and now I am punished

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fell for a scam and now I am punished

I've had an eBay and PayPal account for many many years, but only ever used the services occasionally, mostly to make online purchases now and then.

Recently, in a desperate effort to make money online I responded to an ad looking for people to list on eBay.
    I thought I asked the right questions, but cut a long story short, I had unwittingly succumbed to internet fraud. Before I knew it I had 12k of sales in my paypal account. Fortunately, I woke up in time did not transfer the money to the crooks but refunded all customers immediately with an apology for inconvenience. Some even left positive feedback on eBay.
    Despite this PayPal terminated my account. I explained what had happened. Provided criminal reference number and did everything I could, but they insist on terminating my account.
    I knew nothing about dropshipping, ebay fraud; money and listing limits.. just very green and naiively bumbling along.
    I'm wiser for the experience, but fact is there is not upfront warning and we make honest mistakes sometimes. There was no malific intent and no one got hurt. So, I don't know why they can't show more understanding and work with me. They've forced me to try to find alternatives instead.

Default Second Chance

I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune. PayPal should certainly hear you out. Especially being a long time user of both eBay and PayPal. Having proof of scam and criminal back up, you would think that would be enough to at Least review your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Teshamwalah View Post
    I've had an eBay and PayPal account for many many years, but only ever used the services occasionally, mostly to make online purchases now and then.

Recently, in a desperate effort to make money online I responded to an ad looking for people to list on eBay.
    I thought I asked the right questions, but cut a long story short, I had unwittingly succumbed to internet fraud. Before I knew it I had 12k of sales in my paypal account. Fortunately, I woke up in time did not transfer the money to the crooks but refunded all customers immediately with an apology for inconvenience. Some even left positive feedback on eBay.
    Despite this PayPal terminated my account. I explained what had happened. Provided criminal reference number and did everything I could, but they insist on terminating my account.
    I knew nothing about dropshipping, ebay fraud; money and listing limits.. just very green and naiively bumbling along.
    I'm wiser for the experience, but fact is there is not upfront warning and we make honest mistakes sometimes. There was no malific intent and no one got hurt. So, I don't know why they can't show more understanding and work with me. They've forced me to try to find alternatives instead.
    I'm sorry to hear about that. Least you got experience and learned from it, hopefully it'll be easier next time/there wont be a next time. Now are you looking for a merchant account or just a personal normal account?

Unfortunately it seems its pretty hard to prove it wasnt you. They probably arent sure but think its better to just close the account instead of risking.

Well if they limited your account, then how about you make another account? I have 2 accounts and Paypal knows I own another limited account since I asked them if they could transfer the funds to my verified account and they said they can, I just need to verify the limited account.

Although in your case, you are accused of committing fraud, that's why your account got limited. What is the wrong thing that you did anyway that started this whole mess? I suspect that the scammers don't really have the items and they fooled you into thinking that they have, so you get to receive the payments for them? That's quite a suspicious set-up from the get-go. You shouldn't have fallen for it.

Unfortunately, punishment is what we suffer when we fall for these traps. In Paypals eyes, you could just be another person who didn't get away with it and is trying to rescue his account and then do it again in the future. The way Paypal see it is that they don't have the time to look into everyone's individual appeals (such as yours) and instead they just do not take the risk and terminate you instead.

Although it sucks, there is some method to it.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's good that you posted it here. This way some people might read it and figure it out before something bad happens.
    Maybe you can write more about the process. How they approached you, what they said, what they wanted you to do, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Teshamwalah View Post

Really sorry to hear this. Seems like this was a straight up nightmare.

That sounds like an experience. Personally I think if you managed to get away with only a termination of account then you done well. Think how much worse it could have got and you could have been heavily out of pocket.

Oh man, that sucks. I'm really sorry to hear about that. It's great to know that you were honest about the whole thing and refunded all of the customers. Most people wouldn't have done that.