Thread: Your Thoughts On SquareUp?

Default Your Thoughts On SquareUp?

Square was one of the first card readers to come out, but has since been pitted up against similar services from PayPal and Intuit.

I have all three card readers since I figured it would be worth it to have backup payment methods if one or two of the other ones are down or experiencing technical difficulties.

I've done a handful of transactions with Square and PayPal's card readers, and they both seem to work fine.

PayPal certainly has more features, such as scanning checks. Also supposedly you can get cash back on your PayPal transactions, which offsets their card fees. But I cannot find where to track or redeem these on Paypal anywhere.

Square on the other hand is very straightforward and doesn't offer any particular bells or whistles. It just works and their fees are basically the same as PayPal. The main drawback is they don't offer you any way of having instant access to your money. You have to request for it to be transferred to your account then wait about 3 days for it to clear.

Paypal is the same way, but if you have the PayPal debit card you can make purchases with your balance immediately.

I wanted to try them but I didn't want to buy an iOS device when they first came out. I also don't like that the little block that plugs into your device can swivel. It will break your headphone port in a matter of months.

But it's good that there are alternatives being developed that allow mobile payments.

I have all three readers as well, but I had the Square first for my side "Toy" business. I didn't mind the Square and hooked it right to my bank account so I never had to request my funds be transferred. Paypal at the moment is easiest for me because I have a paypal debit card and the food is automatically on there.

All three do the same things pretty much and get the job done. It all depends on what you can get the best deal on.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    I wanted to try them but I didn't want to buy an iOS device when they first came out. I also don't like that the little block that plugs into your device can swivel. It will break your headphone port in a matter of months.

But it's good that there are alternatives being developed that allow mobile payments.
    Actually I found it to be the "sturdiest" of the three in terms of overall build quality. But I do see what you're saying about it spinning around. The Intuit one has a rubber body that squishes against your phone when you plug it in to keep it from moving around to much.

The PayPal one is a rather odd design because it has a slight slant and a little bump on the bottom - presumably to press the power button it is blocking. But in order to do that, you need to press down on the device in a weird way that seems like it would break your audio jack pretty quickly.

In all honesty I think that square up is by far the best out there, certainly much better than the likes of Paypal, with their underhanded tactics and malevolent mannerisms.

SQUARE is the best honestly. Their rates are fees are really low compared to other companies. Dont get all your funds sucked away from you.
    Earn money for chatting with other people. [url]http://www.diskussable.com[/url]

I'm not so sure yet about this as it's a new kid in the block and I worry that if ever there are glitches, they may not be able to retrieve my data. I think I need to see more testimonials first of smooth and successful transactions before I will be motivated to even try it.