Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Initial withdrawal of 1.95$ when you create an account?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    I haven't been with PayPal for many years now, but the process used to verify your bank account information is something used by many alternatives to PayPal.

The amount usually withdrawn for verification is a small amount. The amount is also random. I've seen this before where X payment middleman has withdrawn a small amount from your bank account. You must then verify that given amount as only the account holder would be able to see that minute transaction. I don't know why anything over a single dollar would be used. It is usually just pennies.
    They probably just saw an opportunity to make money. 1.95 is nothing but I am writing this because I feel as if they are using their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by DomDom View Post
    They probably just saw an opportunity to make money. 1.95 is nothing but I am writing this because I feel as if they are using their customers.
    This is probably true. A lot of people make an account, get it verified and never do anything with it. So Paypal gains the amount they withdrew.
    It's the customer's fault though. If you didn't want to have a Paypal account, you shouldn't have made one.

Just imagine if only 1000 persons per day verify their accounts? thats nearly $2000 a day, and if those accounts are never used, that goes right into Paypal's pockets.

I think this is a legal scam guys! ALWAYS withdraw this money! PayPal is just using this as a tactic because they are aware that some people wont bother with withdrawing their funds and it will lead to them taking the money. If a million or two people do this ebay can get to nearly 4 million dollars just by this.

If they really used this as "verification" why would they let you continue using your account even if you didnt write the code for the return of that money ? Lame tactics...
    Well, from what I have observed with my various paypal accounts, the initial deposit remains in the account. Whether paypal literally took the money and used it or not, it still shows that the balance that was initially deposited is still there. Aside from that, many other online payment services charge you a fee to verify your credit card. It's just logical.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Just imagine if only 1000 persons per day verify their accounts? thats nearly $2000 a day, and if those accounts are never used, that goes right into Paypal's pockets.
    Yea, that's the thing about business. We are all in business to make a profit. If I sign up with paypal, it is my responsibility to ensure they don't rip me off (cause they will). On all my accounts, whenever I get paid into them, I make sure that I leave not a cent in there (but draw it all out).

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    Yea, that's the thing about business. We are all in business to make a profit. If I sign up with paypal, it is my responsibility to ensure they don't rip me off (cause they will). On all my accounts, whenever I get paid into them, I make sure that I leave not a cent in there (but draw it all out).
    Everybody is in it to make money. It doesnt mean you should rip your customers off. I consider it the best type of marketing, working with and FOR your customers.

I'm not really aware of this. I haven't tried withdrawing yet. I have read though that they deduct 5 or 10 dollars if the amount is below 160$? I'm not really sure, though this is unfair for people who have not much in their paypal account.

I think this is a legal scam guys! ALWAYS withdraw this money! PayPal is just using this as a tactic because they are aware that some people wont bother with withdrawing their funds and it will lead to them taking the money. If a million or two people do this ebay can get to nearly 4 million dollars just by this.

If they really used this as "verification" why would they let you continue using your account even if you didnt write the code for the return of that money ? Lame tactics...
    I have never heard of anything like this. Has this happened to you?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    I have never heard of anything like this. Has this happened to you?
    Yes! Thats why I posted it!

It seems it mostly happens with eastern European countries.

In my case, the fee that they take is a little over $1, and the $2 was refunded back to my Paypal account. I guess it's another way that they can earn you know? It would be nice if the verification was free to begin with.