Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: no goods received yet PAYPAL wont get involved.

Exclamation no goods received yet PAYPAL wont get involved.

Saw an item for 260 on Gumtree, made deal with seller who wished transaction made via PayPal, paid 269.04 which included PayPal's 9.04 fee, didn't receive item, made complaint but PayPal wouldn't pursue this as no invoice was supplied by the seller first before paying. Understandable up to a point BUT why then have PayPal taken the 9.04 if they cannot be involved as the transaction was not carried out through the proper channels. Fortunately the PayPal payment was taken from my credit card and the CC company are chasing the seller up as I type this. Be warned!

Quote Originally Posted by Teshamwalah View Post
    Saw an item for 260 on Gumtree, made deal with seller who wished transaction made via PayPal, paid 269.04 which included PayPal's 9.04 fee, didn't receive item, made complaint but PayPal wouldn't pursue this as no invoice was supplied by the seller first before paying. Understandable up to a point BUT why then have PayPal taken the 9.04 if they cannot be involved as the transaction was not carried out through the proper channels. Fortunately the PayPal payment was taken from my credit card and the CC company are chasing the seller up as I type this. Be warned!
    Thanks for sharing your story. I'm surprised at the fact that PayPal sided with the seller in this case, which is rare considering how they like to side the buyer. It seems like they just take the side that is most convenient for them.

Thanks for the warning and hopefully you'll get a refund.

It's strange to see them charge a fee like that. Are you in the UK? I have never had to pay fees. Anyway, it's strange Paypal won't do anything. I have never seen that before. I also haven't seen anyone who doesn't own a store, send an invoice to someone for a second hand product.

I think that backing you Paypal account with a CC is the best idea, and not a bank account, because you can dispute transactions with both Paypal and the credit card company. Hopefully the CC company gives Paypal hell over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Teshamwalah View Post
    This is why I only use Gumtree for face-to-face meets. I don't understand how anyone can risk any amount of money on a channel that has no safety nets.

Paypal won't get involved as they said because there is no proof that you bought anything, BUT you are still using THEIR system and therefore they have the rights to charge Paypal fees.

I'm afraid in this case that they haven't really stepped out of line.

Not familiar with Gumtree but as someone stated above I am very surprised that paypal sided with the seller on this issue. They are notorious for siding with buyers whether they are in the right or wrong.

Sorry this happened to you but take it as a lesson learned and I wouldn't use that Gumtree site again either.

I hope you get your refund. I would keep hounding Paypal and your credit card company. Hopefully you will get your money back!

Default I'm Surprised

Wow, I'm surprised that PayPal won't get involved with this. Usually they always side with the buyer no matter what. Even if the buyer does fraudulent activity, PayPal will usually side with them. My advice to you would be to try to talk to the highest person at PayPal you can and tell them what happened. Tell them you're going to call a national news station about the story and see how fast they act. PayPal has to be stopped and I think the only way is from the national media.

Quote Originally Posted by myepicdemise View Post
    Thanks for sharing your story. I'm surprised at the fact that PayPal sided with the seller in this case, which is rare considering how they like to side the buyer. It seems like they just take the side that is most convenient for them.
    I cannot believe as well that they have taken the side of the seller in this case. I would always read that paypal promotes being able to protect the marketplace for the buyers. If they keep on doing this, I wonder how they will be able to sustain this kind of reputation to customers.