Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My daughter got ripped off by Paypal

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    Well, in the end they both got nothing. It's like building a product and having it in a store for a few months. Maybe your daughter can sell the article to someone else? Paypal won't remember all of this so don't worry about that.
    Also, what amount are we talking about $3-5, maybe? Not really a reason to start a lot of commotion on Paypal, isn't it? I know it's her money but let this be a lesson learned.
    While its true that $3-5 isn't an amount to really start a big commotion over, If I were the writer in this case I would slam his name in every other blog/forum I was in and warn all of his actions. This isn't right. There are plenty of us that write online for a mere $2.00 here and $4.00 there..and to me money is money...Although I don't earn enough to live off of from it ..it is part of my weekly budget because it is used for my gas and coffee money. So I totally understand her frustration with not getting paid.

I also write for clients online and get paid via Paypal. My clients only pay via Paypal. Unforunately, this is not really anything that Paypal can control. The issue is with the client who requested the work to be done. They are obviously in the market to rip people off and I don't know that there is anything that can be done about it from a Paypal, or even from a legal standpoint. You can theoretically try to figure out who they are and try to sue them for breach, but if there is no written contract, then you are most likely going to have a tough time that there was ever an agreement to do any work. This is one of the hazards of this business. I am sorry to hear that your daughter ws taken advantage of, but it does happen and she will recover and find plenty of other good clients to work for in the future. She can actually make some really good money doing this, so tell her not to get discouraged and keep going with it.

I would definitely keep an eye out to make sure that the content doesn't surface online. If the client still uses it, you can file a DMCA takedown. You can also contact Google and his web host to let them know what is going on. They don't like stuff like that and could kick him off of Google Adsense, take his site down, etc. etc. That's pretty much all you can do at this point if he's not using the content.

Default I'm Sorry

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I write for a lot of different websites that pay "instantly" by PayPal. You have to be careful about who you accept writing offers from. It's not necessarily the website she writes for but the client that she got linked to. Anytime you write for anyone always check the clients rating. If anyone has a bad experience they can always leave a bad rating or a comment, kind of like eBay. If she doesn't already tell her to try Textbroker.com, I've never had anything bad happen to me there.

Sometimes PayPal is hit and miss. In my experience it has been half and half. When they really drop the ball, they REALLY drop. Sorry about your daughter's situation.

Maybe she can open a PayPal claim against him? That seems really crappy. I agree they both end up loosing though because he took her content down and she got her payment taken away.

Maybe the best thing to do is actually just give him the refund. Post his name in the bad buyers section. Its not worth losing your PayPal account over it!

Sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter. Though I am sure Paypal has no intention to rip your daughter off. Your daughter was their customer and your daughter's client was also their customer so the guy must have told them a story for him to get a refund. Did they deduct it from the balance without notification? Well, the right thing to do was to notify the user of the account first before they get a person's hard money. An investigation must be thorough too and hear both sides first before taking any action. If they didn't, then that's their mistake.

Man, whoever he is, he is an unethical businessman. Businesses usually turn sour for those who do their business unethically. I think as of right now it is not possible to get the money back. But look on the bright side, your daughter is now aware of bad businesses behavior and unethical businessmen so she will be more cautious when doing business from now on. The least you can do is comfort her for her loss.

This is outrageous, has your daughter considered any other methods to take payments where she's covered for her work?

It seems such a shame that she spent the time to write an article for someone only to have it thrown in her face and money stolen from her.

Unfortunately that's one of the risks of using the internet for source of payment, gone are the old days where you're paid face to face, cash in hand, hopefully you'll be able to message paypal and provide the details/article and have them judge whether it's worthy.

On the bright side, at least your daughter now knows to be more careful with how and who she deals with on the internet, and can source other ways to receive payment.