Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My daughter got ripped off by Paypal

Angry My daughter got ripped off by Paypal

My daughter is in college, and often makes extra cash by writing articles, press releases and blog posts for people who run websites. It doesn't make her that much, but it's easy work and - until the other week - she like the fact that she could get paid instantly via Paypal.

Three weeks ago she did some work for a new client, who paid her 50% of the fee upfront. She delivered the articles and the client thanked her and said her content was great, and he put it up on his site. She asked him to pay the outstanding 50% but heard nothing back, then the next day he filed a dispute with Paypal saying that the articles were "below standard". She sent him and Paypal a copy of his previous email where he had praised her content, plus she pointed out that he was using it already. This went back and forth and she refused to give him a refund. In the end the client took the content down and Paypal deducted the money from my daughter's balance.

So she did all that work for no payment, and now she probably has a black mark against her name at Paypal. What can we do?

Quote Originally Posted by greengrass View Post
    My daughter is in college, and often makes extra cash by writing articles, press releases and blog posts for people who run websites. It doesn't make her that much, but it's easy work and - until the other week - she like the fact that she could get paid instantly via Paypal.

Three weeks ago she did some work for a new client, who paid her 50% of the fee upfront. She delivered the articles and the client thanked her and said her content was great, and he put it up on his site. She asked him to pay the outstanding 50% but heard nothing back, then the next day he filed a dispute with Paypal saying that the articles were "below standard". She sent him and Paypal a copy of his previous email where he had praised her content, plus she pointed out that he was using it already. This went back and forth and she refused to give him a refund. In the end the client took the content down and Paypal deducted the money from my daughter's balance.

So she did all that work for no payment, and now she probably has a black mark against her name at Paypal. What can we do?
    This is a strange one. We need a little more information.

Was this done through an official company website, where payments are processed through a system? Or was it done just on a personal level with 'spoken' agreements in place?

Wow now THIS problem scares me! Up until now I have seen most problems come from people buying and selling.

I use my paypal primarily for my sites that pay me to write. I have never had a problem (knocking on wood) so far but then again..its only something I been doing on a very part time basis so its $15.00 here.. $20.00 there.

As of last week though I have kicked up my "side writing" a notch because im looking to make a lil more..so I am not looking into freelance blog writing and other contents and I really, REALLY hope I don't run into this problem. I mean it seems as though your daughter went about it the right way and asked for half the money first. What else could she have done in order to get full payment is my question. And I hope someone out there has an answer for us

I'm sorry this happened to you daughter. It bothers me when people get other people to do work for them and then don't want to pay, it's not fair and it's not right. I've recently gotten into a little freelance writing myself and would be furious if I did work and was not paid for it.

To be frank, the most you could do is to tell your daughter not to use PayPal next time for transactions regarding digital goods. PayPal will always side the buyer in this case (which is her client) and they won't change their decision no matter what.

Sadly, there isn't much you can do with Paypal, as it's a pretty bad company that doesn't care for their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by greengrass View Post

Well, in the end they both got nothing. It's like building a product and having it in a store for a few months. Maybe your daughter can sell the article to someone else? Paypal won't remember all of this so don't worry about that.
    Also, what amount are we talking about $3-5, maybe? Not really a reason to start a lot of commotion on Paypal, isn't it? I know it's her money but let this be a lesson learned.

That is so sad! What a scam that person is trying to pull paying 1/2 then publishing and not paying the rest. I can't believe that with all that proof that Paypal didn't let her keep the money. How awful! I would be upset too!

You can do practically nothing, with Paypal the ones who file disputes win 70% of the time, but it won't affect your daughter's standing with Paypal though, just tell her not to work with that blog again, and move on...

Chances are the client got wanted he wanted from your daughters work then decided no have his cake and still eat it. PayPal should have remained neutral and status to remain, that is you retain half of the payment.

I sometimes with there could be many more companies like PayPal which people can use if they feel that they are not receiving good service from PayPal.