Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any Sites Exactly Like Ebay?

I think that Amazon is a great alternative to eBay, I've lot several used items on Amazon (especially books) and I am 100% happy with it, great service and the products are as good as new even being used.

Depending on the country you are there are plenty of alternatives to eBay and I think they are serious companies, at least I don't have bad experiences.

I guess you could try Amazon and Craigslist. Amazon has limit on the items that you can trade with. But it will be easier to get funds than eBay. Craigslist is suitable for you if you want to deal with the buyer/seller directly. It is a good place to get items at cheaper rates or you can get quick sales too.

Unfortunately, ebay is the big bad wolf in this case. They almost own a monopoly on the online auction world. Yes, there are other sites, but these sites are nowhere near as big as eBay and they don't have as many buyers and sellers.

No, unfortunately there aren't. If there were, ebay probably wouldn't be doing as well as they're doing. If you're talking about sites that have a bidding process, then yes, they do exist. But no site has the amount of traffic and good bidding deals that ebay has and that's why ebay will always be the most popular bidding site.

Amazon is pretty great. I know a lot of people who use it for retailing and they love it to bits.

Honestly there are a lot of sites like ebay, but the biggest problem is the fact that none of them are as popular as ebay. This means whether you are trying to buy or sell, you are going to have better luck over at ebay. Hopefully there will soon be a site just as popular!

Quote Originally Posted by bonnieann5275 View Post
    Here are some alternatives. I'll label the ones I've tried.

Amazon - Great for books, movies, games, stuff you want to quickly list, have on there for a long time, and forget about until the items are bought. The price changer needs to be carefully watched but works very well overall. Not necessarily better than eBay but more convenient for listing in many ways.

Half.com - At one point I was listing many books and movies and price-checking between Amazon and Half for the highest prices. Maybe about 10% of those books sold on Half rather than Amazon. It's still a heavy-traffic site, but if you have to choose between Half and Amazon choose half. Alibris is another alternative for selling books.

Craigslist - Ideal for items that are newer and more likely to sell, and harder to ship. The process of selling in person can be awkward and occasionally just as unpleasant as some of the less savory buyers on eBay. A lot of people seem to have great experiences selling items on here though and no fees plus instant cash is a huge benefit.

Etsy - The main place you should consider for cute, quirky antiques and any homemade crafts and jewelry.

iOffer - I'm surprised, there really is a small but loyal following of buyers here. Check out the main goods being bought and try listing if you have similar items.

Bonanza - Several years ago this site was the go-to place for a lot of sellers fleeing eBay. It, like many others on this list, is still not quite as good in terms of potential earnings but it may be worth the trouble if you have items that mesh well with the stylish boutique-style offerings of sellers here.
    Did you say Half.com? Half.com is owned by eBay so if you are selling on Half.com, you are still paying fees to eBay. I thought this was supposed to be a thread about alternatives to eBay.

Also, you can't sell just anything on Half.com. The only thing they offer is books, music, movies, etc. None of the other alternatives are nearly as big as ebay though, if they were, eBay would cease to exist.

What don't you build your own website instead of just using eBay. I made a great website on instastore.com and it was super easy! then I just used a real merchant account to take payment. I don't like other companies having so much control over my company!

Quote Originally Posted by Yesenian View Post
    What don't you build your own website instead of just using eBay. I made a great website on instastore.com and it was super easy! then I just used a real merchant account to take payment. I don't like other companies having so much control over my company!
    I did this a few years ago and I never looked back. Paypal and ebay will rape you with their fees and control of everything. They give your money and item away left and right to buyers looking for a quick scam to line their pockets.
    My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner, I always thought it was too hard and expensive to build my own website but it turns out eBay is way more complicated and expensive.