Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Think PayPal removes your personal information? Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    well you don't have to agree to the terms of service, you can just walk away
    This is the easiest thing to say. Unfortuantely today you cant do anything without huge Terms of Service contracts and most people dont read them. I believe this is a breach of privacy and should be illegal. These days you would have to basically read a 1000 page book for everything that you use...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    well you don't have to agree to the terms of service, you can just walk away
    Hard to walk away from the only known and common online payment processor. I feel though for the OP I believe that this should be illegal. No one should have to worry about personal info being almost publicly open. Like the OP said they could create a database that would be almost off grid and be just as sufficient.

Yes. That's that. You should try alternatives if you cannot stand paypal as there is not much we can do.

Since you already gave that personal information, it's there in their database. At least it is hidden from other users.

This has been an ongoing problem that I've had with them. Any time I switch my banks or move and try to update my account with new information - they keep randomly defaulting to my old information during purchases and it winds up causing all kinds of problems with the orders and with me getting hit with insufficient funds fees or bounced fees.

Yet there is always some excuse why I can't delete that old information at that moment, and it always ends up biting me in the ass months later. That's the main reason I turned off that quick checkout feature with eBay and PayPal, before you can stop it the damage has already been done.

I guess it is the logical thing to do for PayPal. This serves for countermeasure in case the person tries to open up a new PayPal account. This is only problematic when somebody's account is being limited despite being innocent. I have heard many horror stories that the person is innocent yet the account remains limited.

It's in order to prevent you from opening another account with your own information. It's basically trying to dodge a ban from a store by signing up again or changing your outfit. You got limited for a reason, and PayPal wants to keep it like that and they don't want you using their service.

Try to see it from their point of view, if they have somebody doing illegal activities using their service, they can limit their account. They can then know if you open a new account and to stop you as it looks bad on them if criminals are using their service. Paypal isn't "evil" they are more than questionable but they aren't some guy in a spinning chair stroking a cat (At least I hope not).

lol @ above poster. Made me thing of The Claw from Inspector Gadget.

Yes, I assume from their perspective they do not want you to close one account and open another with the same credit card/banking information. I'm not a huge fan of the fact that they carry my info indefinitely but I do understand why they do it. My concern just comes from, say, no longer having the service years down the line, keeping my banking information the same, and STILL having to be concerned with their security measures.

Quote Originally Posted by DomDom View Post
    This is the easiest thing to say. Unfortuantely today you cant do anything without huge Terms of Service contracts and most people dont read them. I believe this is a breach of privacy and should be illegal. These days you would have to basically read a 1000 page book for everything that you use...
    I think they have to keep a record of your details for legal reasons.