Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think PayPal removes your personal information? Nope!

Default Think PayPal removes your personal information? Nope!

This is just a heads up to those who use PayPal. If/When PayPal permanently limits an account, they will not allow you to close your account in order to delete your personal information. It doesn't matter what measures you take, they actually have a clause in their long ass Terms of Service that states they can keep your account information indefinitely.

So what that means is that your email address, physical address, credit cards, bank account numbers possibly your social security number are still in their records... and there is nothing you can do about it! How this isn't criminal is beyond me.

I had my website's PayPal account permanently limited. I tried damn near everything trying to get them to delete the account. It was already a good 5 months after they released my funds, and I was still getting their stupid emails. I tried emailing all of the PayPal email addresses I managed to find. They either sent me to another address, or said they won't do anything.

That wasn't it! I even went as far as to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau petitioning for my account to be deleted, and all of my personal information be removed. The complaint was filed on behalf of the BBB, but PayPal just shrugged it off stating that buried clause in their Terms.

The only method I hadn't tried is going through a lawyer. I wonder if anyone has tried that or if there might be any class action lawsuits I could possibly join.

They do this so they still have your information to compare to new accounts you might potentially start.

Why did you get your account limited permanently? Did you do something wrong like selling illegal stuff or scam people?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    This is just a heads up to those who use PayPal. If/When PayPal permanently limits an account, they will not allow you to close your account in order to delete your personal information. It doesn't matter what measures you take, they actually have a clause in their long ass Terms of Service that states they can keep your account information indefinitely.

So what that means is that your email address, physical address, credit cards, bank account numbers possibly your social security number are still in their records... and there is nothing you can do about it! How this isn't criminal is beyond me.

I had my website's PayPal account permanently limited. I tried damn near everything trying to get them to delete the account. It was already a good 5 months after they released my funds, and I was still getting their stupid emails. I tried emailing all of the PayPal email addresses I managed to find. They either sent me to another address, or said they won't do anything.

That wasn't it! I even went as far as to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau petitioning for my account to be deleted, and all of my personal information be removed. The complaint was filed on behalf of the BBB, but PayPal just shrugged it off stating that buried clause in their Terms.

The only method I hadn't tried is going through a lawyer. I wonder if anyone has tried that or if there might be any class action lawsuits I could possibly join.
    As delusional stated, they do it to prevent you from opening new accounts wherever possible.

If they just erased peoples data, then it would be an easy process for any person to resign up.

This is why you see people complaining that their new account got limited, or their family members account got limited, etc. They compare the stored information that is kept in a database to new information that is inputted when creating an account.

Yes, they definitely keep that information so that they can catch you if they find you trying to open another account. They probably use it to try to get up with you to recover any money that you owe them as well. It is scary knowing that they hold all of your personal information like that, but what can you do?

Default Has To Be Illegal

This has to be illegal. PayPal should have to delete this kind of information. There is so much identity theft online it's not even funny. PayPal has so much of your information when you sign up. Especially if they're going to limit your account you should have the option of just deleting it and having them delete all your information. PayPal thinks they can just do whatever they want with no consequences. If people would actually be able to delete their accounts they'd be losing a lot of customers and business over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    They do this so they still have your information to compare to new accounts you might potentially start.

Why did you get your account limited permanently? Did you do something wrong like selling illegal stuff or scam people?
    No, there are other ways of creating a database of those who had been frozen. There is no need for the profile to be publicly active in a way your private information cannot be activated. This is a huge corporation that could easily create a hidden blacklist stopping individuals from creating new accounts.

To answer your second question: No, my site wasn't selling anything illegal or scamming anyone. It is a forum that offers a VIP Membership to view hidden boards, and added perks. The forum has been around for six years with a total of 135 million views over the span, and has more than 500 transactions for VIP Memberships with a only maybe a dozen being potentially fraudulent (i.e. people trying to use stolen credit cards to gain full access). All of those were stopped in their tracks.

I made another thread completely detailing all of this. PayPal's reasoning for freezing the account was for "selling sexual acts", and referenced a $10 transaction a member paid to be granted VIP Membership status. That individual lived something like 500+ miles away from me.

I agree with the OP, my information is my information and it is private. A huge company having all my banking information is just a bad idea.

I mean.. once you have your personal information revealed on the internet once, it will always be there - nothing goes away.. ever. It's a scary aspect of the web.

I never knew that! This is horrible and disappointing. My financial history will forever be on Paypal. Noo! I bet my bank records are still there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post

well you don't have to agree to the terms of service, you can just walk away