Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PayPal actually lets this happen?!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrix View Post
    So me and one of my friends talked recently about PayPal, and he told me something I couldn't believe a big, popular service such as PayPal does. Basically a guy bought all sorts of things online, but nothing materialistic, he only bought things such as eBooks, software, online services, etc. And after a month or so, he chargedback each and every one of the people whom he bought from.

He won all the disputes by saying his account was hacked. And PayPal let that pass. He literally scammed a bunch of people for 100s of dollars, and got away with it by saying "My account was hacked, sorry.".

What the heck? Even if the guy got hacked, which probably isn't true, it's his own damn fault for using a stupid password or logging in from public places. And in such a situation, responsibility is entirely his.

But he didn't get hacked, and he just chargedback and said his account was hacked, and PayPal let him get his money back. Of course he didn't return the products, and even if he did, he probably just copied the eBook/software and kept it.

How can such a huge company such as PayPal let that happen?
    I'm not surprised actually. I've heard before that in a sale of online goods, the buyer automatically wins any dispute. I presume that Paypal is handling it in this manner because it is the easiest way to. After all, there are probably real cases of such scams. It is impossible to prove whether a case is real or not, so it's better to treat all cases as legit.

Being such a widely used medium for online sales, PayPal has no shortage of customers, and they know that they will never be short of customers either.

However, I don't think the buyer could easily do the same in a sale of physical goods, since the seller could prove that the shipment of item took place.

Whatever happened to your account being your responsibility?

Even online games have rules saying that even if you're hacked, the account was your responsibility so everything done by the hacker you can be blamed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrix View Post
    How can such a huge company such as PayPal let that happen?
    Because they were intangible goods.
    Paypal gives absolutely zero seller protection when selling "intangible goods" such as software downloads and ebooks.

All the details are at [url]https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-learn-more[/url] but here's the main points:

"
    When you are not covered:
    Items are picked up locally or delivered in person.
    You sell services, intangible items, or digital goods.
    You receive multiple payments for the same item.
    You've received a claim or a chargeback, and the shipped item is found to be significantly different than it was described.
    Example: You describe a new laptop, but send a used one.
    "

If you're selling services or other intangible goods, you're not covered as a seller. Never. You're pretty much going to lose any chargeback or dispute because the buyer is always favored by PayPal in these situations.

Too bad, all it would take is a little digging on Paypals part to catch the guy in a lie.
    It would be pretty hard to claim you were hacked if any of the goods were received at his house or downloaded on his computer.

Default That's PayPal For You

It seems like PayPal only cares about getting paid. A situation like that would have no benefit to them to do anything about it. You're right though, if he did get hacked it's probably his own fault from logging in from a public place. It sounds like he did scam everyone he bought his products from, since they were all online products he could've just copy and pasted if he did have to "return" them. I just feel bad for the people who never received their money for the products and services that got stolen.

Unfortunately, where there are protections for scupulous buyers, there are ways to take advantage of the system and bilk people out of money. It's rampant in all the electronic payments industry, from credit cards to Paypal and every other form of electronic payment. hacking is so prevalant that most companies will allow one or two chargebacks without a hesitation...but if the pattern becomes more frequent, they may start locking him down some. But the rules are written to protect the unassuming, small consumer from the big bad retailer. It's the way it works.

Wow, that is so horrible. There are so many scammers out there that it isn't even funny. As I said in another post...a lot of bad apples have ruined things for the rest of us.

PayPal is like this huge animals that even if a dozen mosquito bit, it will not feel a single pain. They dont care if you pull out of their company because they will still make their profit with or without your small cash.

Wow, this really spiked a discussion, which is great, because I think that this should be seen by many.

Anyways, someone mentioned (swagger, I think), that when dealing with virtual goods, the buyer always wins? What's up with that? Is it true?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
    ― Bernard M. Baruch

Even if he was hacked, what a shame. So now the people that are actually providing those services have to suffer as well? Well I am sure a few hundred of those and PayPal would go under. What is wrong with them?