Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PayPal actually lets this happen?!

Default PayPal actually lets this happen?!

So me and one of my friends talked recently about PayPal, and he told me something I couldn't believe a big, popular service such as PayPal does. Basically a guy bought all sorts of things online, but nothing materialistic, he only bought things such as eBooks, software, online services, etc. And after a month or so, he chargedback each and every one of the people whom he bought from.

He won all the disputes by saying his account was hacked. And PayPal let that pass. He literally scammed a bunch of people for 100s of dollars, and got away with it by saying "My account was hacked, sorry.".

What the heck? Even if the guy got hacked, which probably isn't true, it's his own damn fault for using a stupid password or logging in from public places. And in such a situation, responsibility is entirely his.

But he didn't get hacked, and he just chargedback and said his account was hacked, and PayPal let him get his money back. Of course he didn't return the products, and even if he did, he probably just copied the eBook/software and kept it.

How can such a huge company such as PayPal let that happen?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
    ― Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by Thrix View Post
    So me and one of my friends talked recently about PayPal, and he told me something I couldn't believe a big, popular service such as PayPal does. Basically a guy bought all sorts of things online, but nothing materialistic, he only bought things such as eBooks, software, online services, etc. And after a month or so, he chargedback each and every one of the people whom he bought from.

He won all the disputes by saying his account was hacked. And PayPal let that pass. He literally scammed a bunch of people for 100s of dollars, and got away with it by saying "My account was hacked, sorry.".

What the heck? Even if the guy got hacked, which probably isn't true, it's his own damn fault for using a stupid password or logging in from public places. And in such a situation, responsibility is entirely his.

But he didn't get hacked, and he just chargedback and said his account was hacked, and PayPal let him get his money back. Of course he didn't return the products, and even if he did, he probably just copied the eBook/software and kept it.

How can such a huge company such as PayPal let that happen?
    I can't answer that. That's just the nature of things nowadays. That guy is better off than you and I. Paypal obviously didn't do much investigation.

well alot of the people here are upset with Paypal when they let the big guy win at the expense of the little guy, so I guess they're giving him the benefit of the doubt... Sometimes that means accepting a half tru poorly conceived story.

I can see this happening because they were probably too busy trying to find the hacker who had breached his account instead of realizing he was the person doing all of the charge backs. I feel horrible for all of those merchants. I hope they suspend his account and his ebay account. Annoyed at people who take advantage of the system like this.

That's just sad. People should be accountable for what they do including the one "who got hacked". The problem lies within that person and should be held liable for allowing his account to get hacked. Paypal and its employees should look into such claims whether they are fraudulent or true.

Is there a way to report your friend to PayPal? Hopefully, they will catch on by themselves if he does it more than once, but this is really bad for the businesses. On another note though...karma will get him in the end. Maybe someone really will hack his bank account or something and the bank won't believe him and he loses all of his money...for real this time!

This is terrible. Sometimes I really wonder if people there are working or just doing Facebook. This is a huge mistake and they should not get a way with it. I hope they have changed these days but I doubt they have. Especially now that a lot of people are even using their services. I hope to find an alternative too!

I would say they probably paid the money to him themselves. Sometimes with stuff like this, companies need to think about the big picture. Is your friend someone who uses it all the time? If he is, debating him and not giving him is money back will definitely make him stop using paypal. Paypal will look at this and see if it's worth losing this customer for a couple hundred dollars. Also, many big companies don't want bad names, they will take care of little problems like this to stay out of the spotlight!

Does anyone has more information about this situation? It would really seem like a horrible move from that person. There are millions of people on this world who would do anything for money and have no shame.

It would seem a bit strange that Paypal would fall for it.

Paypal could care less about their disputes tbh, they just try and end them as fast as possible to get it done. It really is pathetic.