Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E-bay my worst experience of buying online

Angry E-bay my worst experience of buying online

I posted this as a reply to a post in the E-bay section. This was my first time to buy from an online store such as E-bay and I felt like a sucker and really beat myself for trusting people online. And what's worse is that E-bay's Buyer protection and Dispute system is a scam. They never updated me on the status of whether or not I'm going to receive a refund. I was really frustrated and infuriated by E-bay. This incidence would be my first and last.

I bought a laptop here in the Philippines worth 11,000 Pesos or Php, I was contacted by the seller and He was eager to send the item and asked me to deposit through BDO or Banko De Oro a bank owned by Henry Sy in the Philippines, still the richest man in the Philippines. So I went through with the process, I paid Php 9,000 because this was the price which we agreed upon. Sadly, the tracking number he sent me was invalid which made me realize that it was probably a scam. His wife , so to speak, contacted me and told me that they had an argument because of the item being sold to me which was already reserved for another person. She told me to deposit an additional 2,000 Php and promised that she will deliver the item plus accessories. Upon depositing, the item never came back. I tried every way to recover my money, through e-bay dispute system but E-bay never refunded my money. The buyer protection is a fraud, and I learned that Ebay.ph was based in Singapore. I tried every police agency, NBI but I never got my money back. I never used E-bay again.

When I use ebay I always go through their site. I believe you have to use paypal to do this! So did you go through ebay and use those other things or did you just transfer it? This may be a scam, especially since the wife asked you to pay more money. That's usually a sure sign of a scam, if they made a mistake and sold the computer to two people shouldn't they give you your money back? Why should you have to pay more! Don't blame ebay for this, you should be more careful about who you send money too!

I might be wrong but for that buyer protection is only for those who use paypal. I might be wrong but that's usually where all the buyer protection is. I concluded to this due to previous people I've known who went though other payment methods besides paypal on ebay get screwed over, while with paypal the seller gets screwed -.- that sounds sorta screwed up but its ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by sethky View Post
    I might be wrong but for that buyer protection is only for those who use paypal. I might be wrong but that's usually where all the buyer protection is. I concluded to this due to previous people I've known who went though other payment methods besides paypal on ebay get screwed over, while with paypal the seller gets screwed -.- that sounds sorta screwed up but its ebay.
    eBay's buyer protection policy states,

"The eBay Money Back Guarantee protects you in cases where an item is not received or is not as described in the listing. It covers purchases paid with PayPal and most other electronic payment methods."

If further explains what is covered by stating this,

"Purchases are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee when all of the following are true:

• An item isn't received or it isn't as described in the listing
    • A case is opened no later than 30 days after actual (or latest estimated) delivery date, or for tickets, 7 days after the event
    • The purchase was made with the Pay Now option or an eBay invoice
    • One of the following payment methods was used:
      • Paypal
      • Propay
      • Skrill
      • Credit or Debit Card
      • Bill Me Later
    • The item was paid for in a single payment (including payments with Bill Me Later).

So, this is where the original poster becomes out of luck. He was scammed and eBay doesn't have to pay him as per their rules. I imagine the seller knew this and laughed all the way to the bank.

It comes down to one of those situations where you've now learnt that you trust NO-ONE on the internet. Never go outside of Ebay to make a purchase, no matter how good it sounds.

I really feel for you because it's so easy to fall into this trap, but unfortunately you are just going to have to take the hit and move on now. Hopefully it's a lesson to yourself and others that read this.

No matter how good a deal sounds, or how much of a steal you think you're getting, think it through first and weigh up both sides. As everyone says, if it sounds too good, IT IS

Quote Originally Posted by fredkawig View Post
    I posted this as a reply to a post in the E-bay section. This was my first time to buy from an online store such as E-bay and I felt like a sucker and really beat myself for trusting people online. And what's worse is that E-bay's Buyer protection and Dispute system is a scam. They never updated me on the status of whether or not I'm going to receive a refund. I was really frustrated and infuriated by E-bay. This incidence would be my first and last.

I bought a laptop here in the Philippines worth 11,000 Pesos or Php, I was contacted by the seller and He was eager to send the item and asked me to deposit through BDO or Banko De Oro a bank owned by Henry Sy in the Philippines, still the richest man in the Philippines. So I went through with the process, I paid Php 9,000 because this was the price which we agreed upon. Sadly, the tracking number he sent me was invalid which made me realize that it was probably a scam. His wife , so to speak, contacted me and told me that they had an argument because of the item being sold to me which was already reserved for another person. She told me to deposit an additional 2,000 Php and promised that she will deliver the item plus accessories. Upon depositing, the item never came back. I tried every way to recover my money, through e-bay dispute system but E-bay never refunded my money. The buyer protection is a fraud, and I learned that Ebay.ph was based in Singapore. I tried every police agency, NBI but I never got my money back. I never used E-bay again.
    No offence but this just had scam written all over it. If you Googled even the tiniest bit you could have seen immediately that this was a scam.
    Just Google Banko de Oro and you know you're going to have a bad time. Next problem is that no one EVER asks for more money to send something to your. If they do, it's a scam and you should contact Ebay immediately with all the information you have (emails, IM, ...).

They probably can't do anything because you used a payment system that isn't safe.

Why did you even give her more money? from there it was clearly a scam and she was ready to scam you. When they sent the fake tracking number, you should of known that it was a scam and you should of not gave them any more of your money.

But, as people are saying, you went ahead with the unsafe option and got scammed. Ebay probably won't do anything else and as sad as it sounds, it's a proven scam and sadly you fell for it.

I do hope you get your money back but from what I am hearing, I doubt it.

I feel sorry for your situation but you should always think hard when paying unknown people over the internet! The wife thing was pretty suspicious. On the other hand I believe ebay should take some of the blame and protect their clients. They should always side iwth the person who got scammed and help fix the situation because their service is part of the problem!

That's horrible that they were running this scam on you, but why would you give them more money when they didn't deliver your item in the first place? I think you should contact ebay and make them hold to their guarantee. It is probably the only way you are going to get your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by LivetoErr View Post
    eBay's buyer protection policy states,

"The eBay Money Back Guarantee protects you in cases where an item is not received or is not as described in the listing. It covers purchases paid with PayPal and most other electronic payment methods."

If further explains what is covered by stating this,

"Purchases are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee when all of the following are true:

• An item isn't received or it isn't as described in the listing
    • A case is opened no later than 30 days after actual (or latest estimated) delivery date, or for tickets, 7 days after the event
    • The purchase was made with the Pay Now option or an eBay invoice
    • One of the following payment methods was used:
      • Paypal
      • Propay
      • Skrill
      • Credit or Debit Card
      • Bill Me Later
    • The item was paid for in a single payment (including payments with Bill Me Later).

So, this is where the original poster becomes out of luck. He was scammed and eBay doesn't have to pay him as per their rules. I imagine the seller knew this and laughed all the way to the bank.
    I actually checked the one transaction only, I read the rules that's why I opted not to indicate that I paid in two installments.