Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Threatened with collection agency

The collection agencies are very aggressive in getting their money back from you, even something much less will cause them to call you incessantly for well over a year, every day.

They can ultimately file a suit with your local court, in which case you will get a letter or even a certified letter delivered to you informing you of the lawsuit and telling you when you need to appear in court.

If you are worried that you might have a certified letter delivered to you, you could possibly just use a PO Box instead. That way they will leave a note in your box that there is a letter for you, but until you actually go to the counter and retrieve it and sign for it, they have no proof you got it.

I lucked out one time, when the court tried to send me a certified letter over a lease I broke. My mail was on hold at the time, and when I went to pick it all up, the person working the counter accidentally gave me my bundle of mail including the certified letter without making me sign for it first, so it was in effect "lost", lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CB327 View Post
    I posted this in another section of the forum, but perhaps it would have been better to post it here...

Hi friends,

Recently i (foolishly) sold 2500 worth of Bitcoins to someone via PayPal, they then reversed the payment. Paypal have emailed and called me telling me I need to pay that money back or they will pass it on to a collection agency. This, of course, is completely unjust as i have done nothing wrong and my hands are completely clean... AND I DONT WANT TO PAY THEM 2500!!!
    I closed that Paypal account, and my linked Barclays bank account prior to the chargeback.

Does anyone have any insight regarding the severity of this situation? And is there any way that i can not pay that money?

Any help would be massively appreciated!!
    I don't understand why they were allowed to reverse the payment if they got what they paid for. I would call PayPal, because you shouldn't be liable for this.

Been there, done that.

Lost about 5BTC selling them to scammers on ebay. Luckily enough they were worth $30 each at the time, so it wasn't too bad.

Still, paypal's mediation was pretty much non existent. I send them the links to the blockchain, showing them that the transactions was sent to the buyer's wallets, but still they replied that when dealing with virtual products the seller takes full responsibility for loss of goods.

In regards to the debt collection agencies I think all they can do is intimidate you, but I don't think they will actually materialize their threats with a lawsuit.

It's best you sort this out as quickly and as easily as you can as Paypal will keep pursuing you until they get their money. It's disgusting that they're allowed to treat people like this and I hope you get the issue sorted out soon.

I had the same experience selling bitcoin in the past.

Luckily enough they were worth slightly less when it happened to me. And yes, paypal will always stick with the buyers when it comes to selling virtual goods.

In regards to the debt collection agency, I don't think they can do much more than just using scare tactics. Keep in mind though that if you don't pay your credit history may be ruined, so be sure to assess if the risk is worth it.

This looks dangerous. Are you really safe even though you closed your PayPal account? They have your address and contact informations. May be they will press charges too. You have to take extra care now, OP. I hope this settles soon.