Thread: Buyer scammed me, what do I do now?

Unregistered Guest

Default Buyer scammed me, what do I do now?

I put an item up for auction on eBay, it did not sell and I was contacted by email by a "viewer" who wanted to know if I would do a private sale.

I agreed to this and the "buyer" sent the money through as a gift payment.

PayPal have now notified me of a chargeback, and also the fee for the credit card company.

I have kept all emails and text messages, I also have the tracking number for Royal Mail special delivery

Where Do I stand?

I have cancelled the Direct Debit with the bank for PayPal so can they still take money from my account? Obviously I now have a massive minus on my PayPal Account of 1045.00

Unregistered Guest

Very few sellers win a chargeback through Paypal so you did the right thing by cancelling the Direct Debit with your bank. I would even suggest that you close bank account and open a new one just to be sure Paypal can't get a hold of your money.

Unregistered Guest

you probably realized this by now but never agree to take a payment as a gift payment for something sold, sure sign you are about to be scammed.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I put an item up for auction on eBay, it did not sell and I was contacted by email by a "viewer" who wanted to know if I would do a private sale.

PayPal have now notified me of a chargeback, and also the fee for the credit card company.

I have kept all emails and text messages, I also have the tracking number for Royal Mail special delivery

Where Do I stand?

I have cancelled the Direct Debit with the bank for PayPal so can they still take money from my account? Obviously I now have a massive minus on my PayPal Account of 1045.00
    screwed, screwed and screwed is what you are. this buyer scammed you.

I'm afraid to say it doesn't seem like there's very much you can do.

A private sale... a payment via gift... I'd be very, VERY surprised if you manage to get this back. The buyer made a cheeky attempt and you succumbed to it, I'm afraid.

I don't want to naysay but you'll have to invest a lot of effort to track the buyer down and obtain a refund and the time and effort involved might not be worth the negative outcome...

Put it down as a lesson learned, I guess.

Ouch. That's a lot of cash. Might wanna get some legal advice, but I think everyone else is right. Definitely a scam, most likely screwed.

I have had that happen before, and I had to pay the negative balance so that I could get my account restored. I would complain to Paypal, show them your proof, but they seem to make up the rules as they go along. It is really ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Where Do I stand?

I'm afraid to say it but you can be sure you lost that account. I don't know what the next step of Paypal will be but try to clear everything up as soon as possible. You don't want them to start asking for the money because you can be sure they will win.

Your best option would of been to just relist the item and not let him buy it as a private sale because that is where the scam started. Sadly, it looks like you won't be getting your money back since you sent it as a gift and went through with a private sale.

On a better note, have you tried contacting Ebay?

First step is to call customer service. If that doesn't work report it to your national cyber-crime network and even consult your bank about fraud.
    Earn money for chatting with other people. [url]http://www.diskussable.com[/url]