Thread: Any hope for a minor that got scammed

Unregistered Guest

Default Any hope for a minor that got scammed

A few months ago I got scammed on paypal so my account balance went negative. Last week i received a letter from a collection agency saying I owe a debt of $100. (how much i was scammed for) Since I am a minor is there anyway I can get out of paying it? I dont want to pay $100 for something that I SHOULDNT HAVE TO but i dont want it to mess up my credit and record. If you can offer any asisstance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Unregistered Guest

I think the scam started when you said you were 18 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think the scam started when you said you were 18 years old.
    I have to agree on this. Their terms are written in a way that even if you aren't 18, your parents are liable for your actions. So either they pay or you pay but you are almost certainly going to have to pay.

How did they scam you?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    A few months ago I got scammed on paypal so my account balance went negative. Last week i received a letter from a collection agency saying I owe a debt of $100. (how much i was scammed for) Since I am a minor is there anyway I can get out of paying it? I dont want to pay $100 for something that I SHOULDNT HAVE TO but i dont want it to mess up my credit and record. If you can offer any asisstance, I would greatly appreciate it.
    That's crazy been down that road but with my one fake account I had nothing to deal with. I used this incase someone shady wanted business and if they scammed I'd be out nothing. But sucks to hear about that. I'm sorry and honestly I heard people saying that your parents take the debt till your 18. Basically they pay for it.

If you lied about your age, even your parents might be liable for your account. Unless you are now of age, then you would probably assume the debt. I would try to find free legal assistance if I were you to try and help sort this out.

Quote Originally Posted by cpefley View Post
    If you lied about your age, even your parents might be liable for your account. Unless you are now of age, then you would probably assume the debt. I would try to find free legal assistance if I were you to try and help sort this out.
    He has no case. He'll have to pay or wait for someone to come and take what he owes Paypal. He faked an account, got scammed while being underage and now doesn't pay his debts... Seems pretty clear to me who'll win this case.

I've heard of a similar story to this where a minors account was just frozen then opened again a few months later (When he turned 18) and PayPal resumed it then. In terms of what you can do I'd really either just pay it off (Only $100), or just forget about it. In terms of the amount of money it would cost to go after $100 its not worth it from a financial perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    He has no case. He'll have to pay or wait for someone to come and take what he owes Paypal. He faked an account, got scammed while being underage and now doesn't pay his debts... Seems pretty clear to me who'll win this case.
    I'm afraid I'll have to agree. You can't bend the rules one way and complain when they bend the other way.

You'll need to chat with someone who knows the legal code of your state inside out. If possible, find some similar legal examples of people in similar positions.