Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do I have to have a registered business

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nate Guest

Default do I have to have a registered business

Are individuals able to get a merchant account or is it only for registered businesses? I sell on ebay as an individual and don't have a ein/tax id.

Unregistered Guest

I have a merchant account as an individual/sole proprietor and just use my ssn instead of tax id.

Unregistered Guest

Private people can get merchant accounts no problemo but if you are a somewhat big time seller I would recommend that you register as a LLC or Corp. but you don't have to to get a merchant account.

I have been with merchantinc.com for a few years now and I signed up with them as a private person/sole prop. I do remember being a bit confused about the application as it asked for a Legal Business name but I was told to just enter my First and last name there and I listed my ebay seller id as my DBA name (this is the name the buyers see on their bank/credit card statements)

Question

I just looked up "Free Merchant Account" on google and found a website called free-merchant.com. I called them and they said they are eBay compatible for US based merchants only. They look pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with them? I really need a cheap but reliable way to accept credit cards on eBay and on my website/blog.

There is no problem to getting a merchant account but if you start making a lot of money, they will start to ask questions.
    If you make a lot of money, you can better start a business. You can even get more benefits if you start a business (your home is your office? Great, that's tax deductible!).

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    There is no problem to getting a merchant account but if you start making a lot of money, they will start to ask questions.
    If you make a lot of money, you can better start a business. You can even get more benefits if you start a business (your home is your office? Great, that's tax deductible!).
    8 years I have had my merchant account and as my business has grown so have my my processing limits for my merchant account and there has never been and "questions asked" I just email them my limit increase request and 2 days later my new limits are in place. Try doing that with Paypal lol you can't even get the to reply to an email over at paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Private people can get merchant accounts no problemo but if you are a somewhat big time seller I would recommend that you register as a LLC or Corp. but you don't have to to get a merchant account.
    This is what I did exactly and I have not had any problems so far and I hope it will stay that way.
    Professional Article Writing services at affordable prices [URL="http://www.contentneed.com"]contentneed.com[/URL]

I'm not a registered business. Had a merchant account no for a while. No problems

You don't need to be registered. I have a merchant account simply because it looked like the best fit for what I planned on doing with the account. The number of transactions, limits and fees are all considerations.

If you are a US citizen, there may be some tax implications as well - whether a business pays the taxes or an individual. As I am not in the US, I cant be sure how it is handled though.

Just look through the various account types and find the most suitable one.