Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay/Paypal is mostly for scammers

Unregistered Guest

Default Ebay/Paypal is mostly for scammers

I had a buyer that did not pay. I am lucky in that the buyer did not try other methods of scam that I have been reading about like claiming the item was not sent. I think the "buyer" was actually selling the same item for more expensive and was manipulating the market to have his item sold at a higher price. Ebay could care less that this "buyer" did not pay.

I think selling on eBay is not for the casual person and you need to be a hardened, well prepared, experienced person or you will loose your shirt. Sellers beware!

Also, if you are into scamming, "buying" on eBay is probably an easy way to make a lot of money by stealing "legally". I can't believe this is allowed to happen. What a shame.

Unregistered Guest

Buyers/scammers paradise and it is all allowed by PayPal/ebay.

Never sell anything for a lot of money on eBay, that way you never risk losing a lot.

For this reason I use eBay quite sparingly, I've really only found myself buying from sellers who have well established feedback. Just be careful and if you can somehow do pick up go for that.

I have bought several items on Ebay and payed with Paypal and I have never had any trouble.

I once paid to have the item delivered quicker (before Christmas) but it arrive later than the advertised date so I contacted the seller and he immediately refunded the shipping cost.

I believe a lot of the Ebay shops are Chinese, Korean, ... and they just don't want their Ebay score to go down.

I had the opposite problem. I bought a laptop here in the Philippines worth 11,000 Pesos or Php, I was contacted by the seller and He was eager to send the item and asked me to deposit through BDO or Banko De Oro a bank owned by Henry Sy in the Philippines, still the richest man in the Philippines. So I went through with the process, I paid Php 9,000 because this was the price which we agreed upon. Sadly, the tracking number he sent me was invalid which made me realize that it was probably a scam. His wife , so to speak, contacted me and told me that they had an argument because of the item being sold to me which was already reserved for another person. She told me to deposit an additional 2,000 Php and promised that she will deliver the item plus accessories. Upon depositing, the item never came back. I tried every way to recover my money, through e-bay dispute system but E-bay never refunded my money. The buyer protection is a fraud, and I learned that Ebay.ph was based in Singapore. I tried every police agency, NBI but I never got my money back. I never used E-bay again.

Okay, there really are a lot of scammers on eBay. We can't help that because people selling there come from all races all around the world. We don't know them and they don't know you. So there will always be scammers. But, as for PayPal, I think they are the most legit online payment processor there is. Compare them to Payza, Liberty Reserve, and VirtaPay and you'll find out that PayPal is still the best option out there.

There are a lot of scammers on both platforms because the scammers know people who aren't really intelligent will probably try to buy things that seem to good to be true or don't know how online payments work.
    Just Google before you buy/sell something and you're sure you won't have any problems.

There are also a very large amount of people who sell illegal stuff because they think it can't be traced so their accounts get blocked and start complaining about all the money Paypal took from them.

There are scammers everywhere that exploit any system for their own means, but I must admit, Paypal makes it exceedingly easy for them to do it, and also get away with it.

Knock on wood! So far I've been fortunate to sell my eBay items with no issues. But yes, I agree, there are scammer buyers out there in eBay. And there are some things I do before hand to (hopefully) weed-out the scammers from legit buyers. One of the things I check is the buying behavior of the buyer. If he/she has been buying similar items w/ regularity, then I would categorize this buyer as pretty legit. Also, I don't sell items over $249 and make sure that I clearly state on my eBay listings that delivery confirmation will be used.

As the old adage says, a good defense is a good offense.

Good Luck!

I am always worried whenever shopping online especially eBay. Until my product is delivered, I always keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.