Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: paypal is harassing me for money

Ugh, collections. Once you get in collections you might be able to work out a deal lower than what you owe. It is so ridiculous, but you should fix it before it reaches that point so you don't ruin your credit score.

I would personally ignore it if I were in your shoes. How much did you lose? If it's not a significant amount, they won't really chase you down for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sethky View Post
    Dude honestly thats a pretty douche bag move. It's actually really childish. People like you cause the person who create this thread to deal with a loss in money.
    I agree with that. It's the people like this guy who cheats the system that causes the system to screwover the honest users out of paranoia.

You'll probably have to pay it in the end as they will keep emailing you and may soon start to contact your bank. The only other thing I can suggest is that you phone them and try to argue your case since it was their fault.

Default Stop using PayPal from now on

My advice to you would to just ignore it and stop using PayPal from now on. As long as you have proof that you shipped the item to the buyer there is nothing anyone can do. I would block your phone number from PayPal so you won't get anymore calls from them. If you do have to go to court all you have to do is bring your receipt from your certified shipment that you sent out. Stand firm and don't let them push you around!

How I would proceed would be dependent on a few things.

If you live in the US, PayPal can DESTROY your credit score. It would be a lot more costly to deal with higher interest rates and other problems from a drastically reduced credit card than to just pay them.

Unless it is a significant amount of money, they probably won't actually press charges against you or anything like that. But they will hound you with emails, letters and phone calls. They will send the information to a collection agency who will be ruthless in harassing you. Then, your credit score will be drastically lowered.

It's unfortunate that the buyer screwed you over like that. I would be wary about dealing with people in other countries for just that reason. People like the one who replied to this post and bragged about buying things and not paying for them make it rough for those who are actually legit.

If you are on the right side, you shouldn't be afraid when paypal harasses or sues you. If you have evidence to exculpate you from fault then you should stand still and even go to trial if you reach that point. This is a good way to fight off the harassment and you could also file a counter charge or claim for harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am pretty sure it is illegal for paypal to try to get funds from your bank account without your permission. I am a pretty similar situation where I was scammed by a 3rd party outside of paypal. I have looked hard in their terms of use and no where does it state that you give them permission to take funds from your linked bank account if you have a negative balance. They clearly state that they could send you to collections but just by using PayPal does not give them the right to try to take funds from your bank account even if you owe them money.
    You have it in one, it is illegal for them to take money from your account without permission, the fact that they tried it is highly illegal, if I were to try that it from someone else's account that would be call theft and I would more than likely do jail time.

Isn't it a rule that you have to pay in advance through PayPal? Can someone clarify this for me? I've read many complaints here but I guess I don't understand very well how their service works.

Quote Originally Posted by qbakkali View Post
    That;s why I love living in the middle east. I have a lot of friends that bought stuff online and never paid for it and the sellers send them emails to send them the money but they just ignore it. For example paypal would ask them to send the money as wiretransfer because their account in negative but they never do. They just stop using paypal and open another bank account and use a virtual CC. And paypal would never sue them cuz I don;t think someone would care in the middle east about a law sue haha
    Well I assume you did the same thing too, and it's not only your "friends" that did it? But anyway, I think the OP should just pay the amount if he can afford it, since the collectors will be after him anyway.