Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop Paypal Phoning Me?

AlexNye Guest

Default Stop Paypal Phoning Me?

Hello, i'm having a few issues with Paypal, i won't bore you with the details but basically i've been treated very unfairly and my account is now -800

Paypal keep phoning my house phone and my mobile, and usually it's a very irate irish chap i'm speaking to trying to convince me to sell things, take out bank loans to bring my balance back up to 0.

Is there an address i can write to to stop phoning me?

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered Guest

You have to check what your debt collection laws are, in the US they can't harass you for a debt they can't prove you owe so just by asking them to verify the debt and request that they stop calling you should do it if you have similar laws in the UK.

I recently had PayPal phoning me every day because my account was in a negative balance by just 40! I couldn't answer the phone because it wasn't working properly at the time but eventually I changed my number and haven't heard from them since. I'm pretty sure you can change a landline number as well so I would recommend doing that.

They'll keep phoning you until you get your balance out of the red, from what I've heard. And if you don't respond to the phone calls, they'll send people to you.

That is a scary situation. If I were you, I would purchase the visa gift cards and slowly pay it off with those...

I don't think there is anything else you can do...

Quote Originally Posted by swagger View Post
    They'll keep phoning you until you get your balance out of the red, from what I've heard. And if you don't respond to the phone calls, they'll send people to you.
    I've never really heard of that happening except once, which was back when someone wasin debt for over 1000$ USD but it might have been a rumor. And I doubt they would go after someone for 40E just doesn't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by swagger View Post
    I've never heard of that happening but it seems like it could be true for larger amounts of money. PayPal actually sell your debt to a debt collection agency when they can't get it back themselves. So I would say it's quite likely someone could come to collect money.

You'll have to familiarize yourself with UK laws. Normally, there are regulations as to how many times they can call within a week. In Canada, they're not allowed to call your cellphone if they have another number to reach you. Also, there should be a way you can tell them to stop calling whether it be by mail or over the phone. You'll just have to Google your rights and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jubvman View Post
    I recently had PayPal phoning me every day because my account was in a negative balance by just 40! I couldn't answer the phone because it wasn't working properly at the time but eventually I changed my number and haven't heard from them since. I'm pretty sure you can change a landline number as well so I would recommend doing that.
    Why would you go through all the hassle of changing 2 phone numbers just so someone can't call you anymore?

I think Paypal is going to keep on calling you and in the end, someone will have to pay for the negative balance. It's better to clear the debt and start fresh because you won't get off any other way.

I can only assume that these guys are ringing you after 5pm? Or is it anytime? You are well within your rights to record the call on your phone, but you must tell them you are doing to aid in your defence as well as for monitoring purposes.

When they ring take your time if you need too get set up, make them wait for a while if you like.

You must get and right down their name and ask for their team leaders name and where they are based. They must provide you with this information to verify that they are an employee of the company.

Ask them to ring you back after you have verified they are who they say they are.

How come you are in the minus figures with them anyway? I need to know more to be able to help further.