Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative PayPal accounts

Unregistered Guest

Default Negative PayPal accounts

Will PayPal take me to court?
    Long story short because of constant eBay/craigslist scams I have a few paypal accounts that all went negative. Maybe $5k total but probably not. More like 2-3 but I'll say 5 to be safe. Anyways some have a fake name/address but they linked them all as the same person. They call about 4 times a day. I'm just curious would they take me to court over all this? Or will they just try to scare me with collections and threats? I have no bank or SSN linked. what can I say to get them off my case?

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Long story short because of constant eBay/craigslist scams I have a few paypal accounts that all went negative. Maybe $5k total but probably not. More like 2-3 but I'll say 5 to be safe. Anyways some have a fake name/address but they linked them all as the same person. They call about 4 times a day. I'm just curious would they take me to court over all this? Or will they just try to scare me with collections and threats? I have no bank or SSN linked. what can I say to get them off my case?
    First off, tell them to stop harassing you. Second ask them to verify the debt, you may have to do this in writing, cert. letter to the debt collection agency but that should take care of it. They will probably sell your debt to a different collection agency and just do the same if they contact you.

You should email them asking for a letter of verification for debts. As long as you're accounts don't have over 5k on one of them you should be fine, there's actually a fair chance they might drop the harassment and stop messaging you.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    They probably won't, they perhaps send you threats about a debt collector, but it will affect your credit score though, so if you want a good deal on your mortgage or a car payment you need to sort that out.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    They probably won't, they perhaps send you threats about a debt collector, but it will affect your credit score though, so if you want a good deal on your mortgage or a car payment you need to sort that out.
    Like this dude said, they wont sue you, but they can and will screw your credit score up, along with maybe send debt collectors your way.

This is the first time I've heard about this kind of case. But first of all, it's their duty anyway to keep accounts real and not fraudulent. If your accounts are legal and real anyway then you have nothing to worry about. And I don't think they'd actually take you to court for this.

Are you the scammer or are you the one who was scammed? If you are the scammer then you would actually be held liable for scamming people and if they obtain jurisdiction over you, you are in danger. If you are the one scammed, you have nothing to worry about since you have an excuse.

It would cost them too much money to take you to court. They will most likely sell your debt to a collection agency and then they will harass you instead.

One way or another, they will come for the money.
    You're telling us you have several Paypal account (this is illegal and can already get you banned) with fake names and addresses (even a bigger no-no which will get them even more infuriated).
    There is nothing we can do for you other than tell you that if you don't pay the debt, they will do whatever they can to get the money back. It might take 10 years but one way or another, they are coming for it.

5K isn't a small amount. They won't take you to court (probably) but I'm sure they'll send debt collectors to your house. I've heard it's happened before. You best resolve those negative balances.