Thread: unable to stop recurring payments

Jackie Guest

Default unable to stop recurring payments

My husband signed up for a monthly payment for a server he uses for video games. The server no longer exists but the payments are still being charged with no way to stop them. We receive an email that the payment was sent and to log in to paypal to stop it but it doesn't show up on my account and when I manually put in the paypal id number it says I can't dispute it. The vendor of the server can't stop it either. None of the ways I have tried to contact Paypal work. My husband spent 45 minutes on the phone trying to get it stopped but we can't. HELP!

28Tim Guest

Try This:

Go to Profile > More Options.

Go to My Money.

Find My Preapproved Payments and click on Update.

Find the merchant whose recurring payment you want to terminate. You may need to modify the timeframe or select View All from the drop-down list to find the merchant.

Click Details and cancel the recurring payment. The cancel button can be found under the vendor/merchant name. This selection does cancel the recurring payment. You get a warning that once selected you will be cancelling the vendor profile with a disclaimer that once selected the profile can not be reactivated (thru pay pal you must go thru the vendor site).

If paypal couldn't find it then you will have to stop it at your creditcard issuers end.

Cancel the card, report it lost or fraudulent use and get it replaced.

I've never had a problem with recurring payments but paypal is one huge database so anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 28Tim View Post
    Try This:

Go to My Money.

Find the merchant whose recurring payment you want to terminate. You may need to modify the timeframe or select View All from the drop-down list to find the merchant.

Click Details and cancel the recurring payment. The cancel button can be found under the vendor/merchant name. This selection does cancel the recurring payment. You get a warning that once selected you will be cancelling the vendor profile with a disclaimer that once selected the profile can not be reactivated (thru pay pal you must go thru the vendor site).
    Did you try this?

I followed those exact instructions once and was able to get a recurring payment removed.

I know how frustrating these things can be! Let us know if it works?

Quote Originally Posted by 28Tim View Post
    Try This:

Go to My Money.

Excellent information, Tim. This is exactly what this person needed. And a great guide too. I don't think anyone can follow this guide and not be able to cancel the subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by paytalk View Post
    If paypal couldn't find it then you will have to stop it at your creditcard issuers end.

Cancel the card, report it lost or fraudulent use and get it replaced.

I've never had a problem with recurring payments but paypal is one huge database so anything is possible.
    I tried going that route with both Citizen's Bank as well as U.S. Bank - asking them to flag my cards with them as stolen, so PayPal's auto attempts to bill them would stop - and they wouldn't do it. Each time, because there was a pending charge from Paypal on the accounts, they kept insisting they could not close the accounts, but instead charged me the NSF fines for all the attempts. That is one of the main reasons I will never use either of those banks ever again.

I always hate the recurring payments. If I can I always try to get any recurring payments to come out of my credit cards and not PayPal. I made this mistake once and do not plan on making it anymore. They are horrible at stopping these payments and when you dispute them it is nearly impossible to get the money back anyways because you signed up for them. The guide is great on how to stop them though!

And this, my friends, is why you should never set up recurring payments. I had the same issue with AOL many years ago. I also had this problem with a fitness place a few years ago too. They insisted that they only way they would accept payment in this manner. I will never, ever grant anyone permission to direct debit my accounts again, recurring or not.

You should also stop funding your account if possible so that no money would be transferred and wasted. Try to unlink your credit cards and bank accounts so that your money will not be depleted for a futile reason.