Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Son's account hacked

The police and FBI cyber-crime unit SHOULD be able to help you here. If not, private investigator would be the way to go. What a terrible thing to happen to you and your family. Sending my best wishes.

Very interesting thread.

The first thing that comes to mind is how can an account be hacked? If the account isn't verified I can see it being hacked but, not if it isn't. If the son's password still works, wouldn't he be able to check if the linked bank account and/or credit card was changed? How else would the hackers get the money? It's not going to the account holder's bank or credit account so, where is it going? Couldn't an investigator find that the linked account doesn't belong to the account holder? That, I would think would become a police matter as, they can trace back to a bank/credit account (which may be fraudulent in itself).

I cannot comment on what rights a collection agency actually has because, I only know what I've read. However, I do know that collection agencies bank on the debtor not knowing their rights. They see what they can get away with and hope they can fear the debtor into paying the debt. If consumers actually knew their rights, I feel a lot of collection agencies would go out of business.

I'd love to pick a law students brain, mostly out of pure jealousy.

Default PayPal Account Hacked

The first thing that I would've done would've been to shut the account down. I thought you also mentioned that he hadn't used it for a while or doesn't any longer and if that's the case then this is exactly why people need to shut these types of accounts down. I would speak with an attorney though, to at least see what you might be able to do about the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pr0xx1d View Post
    The police and FBI cyber-crime unit SHOULD be able to help you here. If not, private investigator would be the way to go. What a terrible thing to happen to you and your family. Sending my best wishes.
    Yes, contact the FBI cybercrime unit to solve someone losing his Paypal account. They would love to point out the term that states he was underaged.

Anyway, close the account if you can. If you can't, contact Paypal and let them close it for you.

I would gather all of the information and proof your son has found and talk to paypal about it. Hopefully they will look into this matter more, but if not I'd definitely talk to a lawyer. That is a lot of money and it sounds pretty obvious that this person has been scamming quite a few people. I feel like you shouldn't have any problem after getting a lawyer involved and this person should even be jailed.

Time to get a Lawyer and explain the situation to him, They should be able to track the I.P. and bank account information to someone else.

Get ready to go to court just in case. Hopefully it doesnt come to that but you never know when it comes to PayPal and eBay. Show as much evidence as possible that you did not do this. Keep us updated.
    Earn money for chatting with other people. [url]http://www.diskussable.com[/url]

Does paypal not keep records of what account this money was deposited into?

That's awful. If he can prove who did it, I'm sure he could sue them. And that isn't true. They can find out the IP address that was logged into his account. All websites can. They might not be willing to help, but maybe with enough pressure, they might.

How awful, I'd advise him to get in contact with authorities and file an identity theft report. I'm curious how this case turned out as it was quite a while ago. I hope everything was resolved and the perpetrator identified.