Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Son's account hacked

There isn't much you can do other than close your account and try and refund people. I wish you luck, did your son give his password to anyone, everyone makes mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Slong View Post
    My son's e-bay and Paypal account was hacked by someone,he does know them or is pretty sure it is this person. They listed things on e-bay that they obviously didn't have, but collected the money when it came in from Paypal. My son had no idea this was happening as he wasn't using either service at the time. Next thing he's receiving phone calls from Paypal wanting the money, around $3,500.00 and ebay turned theirs over to a collection agency who has sent letters wanting that money from him. He told them he's not the one who did this and can they not check the IPS or whatever to prove it didn't come from his computer, but they won't do anything to help with the fraud. The person that did this has also listed things online for sale that people bought through Craigslist and other places. My son found this out by googling this person and found alot of complaints against him. So if his name is googled it comes up and you can see all the complaints against him from people he's ripped off. Didn't have a clue this was going on and now don't know what to do to get Paypal off his back. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.
    I really feel for you, but there is sweet fudge all that can be done, maybe if it was just one of the companies but they are both owned by Ebay and as such this person has committed fraud on both websites, which is quite funny if you think about it, they commit it themselves without so much as batting an eyelid but jump on poor people like your son at the slightest infraction.

At the end of the day these people will not listen to reason, regardless of what you tell them, logic doesn't seem to work on them, as for the collectors I would go to the local police force and report this and give them all the information, including name and address of the person who did this to your poor lad.

You have to file a case against this person for fraud and misrepresentation. Then you can deal with PayPal. I don't understand how the perpetrator was able to withdraw money by doing this. Anyway you must contact the authorities about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandikkal View Post
    You have to file a case against this person for fraud and misrepresentation. Then you can deal with PayPal. I don't understand how the perpetrator was able to withdraw money by doing this. Anyway you must contact the authorities about this.
    Yeah, I'm also curious as to how this person was able to do this. In any case, you should definitely go to the police as this is fraud and identity theft. Like Kandikkal said, deal with paypal after you've done this first.

Quote Originally Posted by IGoToXS View Post
    Sadly, there really isn't anything you can do. PayPal and EBay are the same company, you can't fight either one.

Debt Collectors have a legal obligation to provide you proof that you owe the debt they are wanting to collect. Unlike the local electric or water company, a collection agency cannot provide this proof as they bought your debt for far less than face value. To make a debt collector go away: Inform them that you do not now or have never owed the debt and that if they continue to attempt to collect a debt you are not responsible for, you will consider it harassment and you will sue THEM. They'll sell your debt to the next dumbass agency. Lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually your debt becomes unsellable.

When a debt collector calls and you do answer, say clearly: STOP TALKING AND LISTEN. Record the call if needed but do not say another word. I do not now or have ever owed the debt you are attempting to collect. I will not tolerate any further calls to this number or any other number you have for me. Any further calls will be considered harassment and a complaint will be lodged against you with the Attorney General's office.

I completely agree I think that's really the only thing else left for you to do.
    PayPal and ebay are the same company they are very hard to fight, get in contact with, get things changed in favor. So its very likely there's nothing you will be able to do except pay the debt because they can't and most likely won't find the guy who did this. That's how scamming and identity theft works.