Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Son's account hacked

Slong Guest

Default Son's account hacked

My son's e-bay and Paypal account was hacked by someone,he does know them or is pretty sure it is this person. They listed things on e-bay that they obviously didn't have, but collected the money when it came in from Paypal. My son had no idea this was happening as he wasn't using either service at the time. Next thing he's receiving phone calls from Paypal wanting the money, around $3,500.00 and ebay turned theirs over to a collection agency who has sent letters wanting that money from him. He told them he's not the one who did this and can they not check the IPS or whatever to prove it didn't come from his computer, but they won't do anything to help with the fraud. The person that did this has also listed things online for sale that people bought through Craigslist and other places. My son found this out by googling this person and found alot of complaints against him. So if his name is googled it comes up and you can see all the complaints against him from people he's ripped off. Didn't have a clue this was going on and now don't know what to do to get Paypal off his back. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Sadly, there really isn't anything you can do. PayPal and EBay are the same company, you can't fight either one.

Debt Collectors have a legal obligation to provide you proof that you owe the debt they are wanting to collect. Unlike the local electric or water company, a collection agency cannot provide this proof as they bought your debt for far less than face value. To make a debt collector go away: Inform them that you do not now or have never owed the debt and that if they continue to attempt to collect a debt you are not responsible for, you will consider it harassment and you will sue THEM. They'll sell your debt to the next dumbass agency. Lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually your debt becomes unsellable.

When a debt collector calls and you do answer, say clearly: STOP TALKING AND LISTEN. Record the call if needed but do not say another word. I do not now or have ever owed the debt you are attempting to collect. I will not tolerate any further calls to this number or any other number you have for me. Any further calls will be considered harassment and a complaint will be lodged against you with the Attorney General's office.

If you have the name why don't you go to the police? or some sort of fraud agency! You should be able to get some sort of help for this, and it's really too bad if no one will help you! I haven't heard of anything like this happening until reading this forum. You should hire a lawyer.. and hopefully find a way to prove your sons innocence! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by IGoToXS View Post
    Sadly, there really isn't anything you can do. PayPal and EBay are the same company, you can't fight either one.

Debt Collectors have a legal obligation to provide you proof that you owe the debt they are wanting to collect. Unlike the local electric or water company, a collection agency cannot provide this proof as they bought your debt for far less than face value. To make a debt collector go away: Inform them that you do not now or have never owed the debt and that if they continue to attempt to collect a debt you are not responsible for, you will consider it harassment and you will sue THEM. They'll sell your debt to the next dumbass agency. Lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually your debt becomes unsellable.

When a debt collector calls and you do answer, say clearly: STOP TALKING AND LISTEN. Record the call if needed but do not say another word. I do not now or have ever owed the debt you are attempting to collect. I will not tolerate any further calls to this number or any other number you have for me. Any further calls will be considered harassment and a complaint will be lodged against you with the Attorney General's office.
    If this would work, every company in the US would be bankrupt because people would be able to get away from their debt in just a few sentences. This doesn't work and will never work. They have proof, they have information that this person's account is linked to his information.

How old is the son? Not 18 yet? That's the first problem. Ebay and Paypal require you to be 18. If he isn't, it's already illegal he had an account.
    Next, if you got hacked, why didn't he close the account? You're not telling me he didn't notice all the emails from Paypal and Ebay telling him he's making $3500.

If I were you, I would have a long talk with your son because I'm pretty sure it's his own fault. If he's denying, take him to the people who he thinks have done it. If he doesn't want to go, you know the people don't exist or didn't do it.

If all this is true and he was really scammed, you can fill a complaint at the police office because your son was slandered online.

Default Be Careful

Tell your son to always be careful where he logs into his PayPal account. If it's in a public place it's pretty easy to steal his information. As far as the scam artist you're dealing with, get all the information you can find on him through Google searches, print everything out, and contact an attorney. You don't want these collections to go on his credit report because that's a lot harder to get fixed than $3,500 worth of bills. I wouldn't wait to do this either. The sooner you take action the better!

Like someone said, if I were you I would report to the police and make my son write a statement to that effect. For his two accounts to be hacked, he must have noticed something is wrong. I have never heard someone winning a case over PayPal or eBay so this might a had on to prove.

Sometimes we loose to gain more.

Ok, I personally think that there is a lot going on here. Is your son over the age of consent? If not, he is in breach of the terms of service for both Ebay and Paypal. Yes, they are owned by the same folks, but they are two separate companies, so there are two separate terms of service that were breached.

Second, if the account was hacked, how did the fraudsters get the money out of it? Did they link it to a bank account? If so, this is a way that they can be tracked. The incident needs to be reported to the police since this is a criminal matter and then the police will begin an investigation.

Lastly, you need to inform Ebay and Paypal that this is a criminal matter and is being investigated by the police. You can and should provide them with a police report number. I am wondering how long you've known about it since it's made it all the way to a collection agency rather then being collected by Paypal or Ebay?

You CAN tell debt collectors that you need proof of the debt before you are willing to pay it. That will slow them down. You can also tell them that you do not want to be contacted by them and that they are to revert the debt back to Ebay and Paypal. You have to tell them to cease and desist contacting you.

Nowadays you can hire an IT expert who can track the IP address of where this hacker is coming from. I would do something about this immediately as a lot of dirt is being falsely thrown on your son's name.

Aside from contacting the appropriate authorities in your local area, there's not much you can do. But in the future, try to have a secure, virus-free computer and use it only for financial business when going online. That's how I do it, and not a single hacker has crossed my path yet.

Fingers crossed it stays this way!

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    If this would work, every company in the US would be bankrupt because people would be able to get away from their debt in just a few sentences. This doesn't work and will never work. They have proof, they have information that this person's account is linked to his information.

How old is the son? Not 18 yet? That's the first problem. Ebay and Paypal require you to be 18. If he isn't, it's already illegal he had an account.
    Next, if you got hacked, why didn't he close the account? You're not telling me he didn't notice all the emails from Paypal and Ebay telling him he's making $3500.

If I were you, I would have a long talk with your son because I'm pretty sure it's his own fault. If he's denying, take him to the people who he thinks have done it. If he doesn't want to go, you know the people don't exist or didn't do it.

If all this is true and he was really scammed, you can fill a complaint at the police office because your son was slandered online.
    Actually, you are wrong. Everything I said is true - I know this from past experience and then there is that three years I spent in law school. As I pointed out, a confirmed debt is not something you can merely claim you do not owe.

Involving the police is an exercise in futility. The matter will be considered a civil issue and not a criminal one. The police have no time to track down online hackers.

Slander is when someone says something that is not true. Libel is when it is printed.

When you post things you know nothing about, you look like a fool.