Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit or Debit Card Gifting Scam / Loophole

watchoutforPP Guest

Exclamation Credit or Debit Card Gifting Scam / Loophole

It is completely wrong that someone can put credit or debit card details from cards which are not their own into a PayPal account and gift it to another account which they can get the money from. This is a scam loophole. If the genuine card holder phones PayPal they say they can only speak to the owner of the PayPal account even if it is not their card being used on the PayPal account!!

h8pp Guest

Don't get me started with paypal and loopholes, paypal is nothing but one big loophole designed to maximize profits to paypal.

I agree. A service this big should really be able to handle their business better. They really mess up a lot. If someone own a CC, then they should also have to be able to decide what happens with everything associated with the card.

Did something like this happen to you? Did you file a complaint?

If you can't speak to PayPal about removing you from the account then who do your turn to? Do you have to ask your bank to unlink the account? Do you have to get a new account number? So frustrating. Try reporting them to the BBB.

Quote Originally Posted by watchoutforPP View Post
    It is completely wrong that someone can put credit or debit card details from cards which are not their own into a PayPal account and gift it to another account which they can get the money from. This is a scam loophole. If the genuine card holder phones PayPal they say they can only speak to the owner of the PayPal account even if it is not their card being used on the PayPal account!!
    Unless you show someone your card, they can not guess the number and verification code. Even after they already have your CC number (which was your fault) and verification number (why do people give out their CC's?), they still need to do a small charge to your card and you have to confirm a number.

If all this could happen, I would immediately cancel that card because they can buy anything with it right now.

It seems like a major loophole, but really if other people have your credit/debit card information and they want to commit fraud and steal from you then it doesn't matter which payment method they use anyway. If you're worried you should contact your bank, I think you could reach an agreement with them to prevent any online purchases being made without your consent.

Quote Originally Posted by sillylucy View Post
    If you can't speak to PayPal about removing you from the account then who do your turn to? Do you have to ask your bank to unlink the account? Do you have to get a new account number? So frustrating. Try reporting them to the BBB.
    Dude he BBB is as much of a joke as paypal -.- You can ask your bank but I don't know if they could unlink and or get off paypal. I honestly doubt they could but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
    Unless you show someone your card, they can not guess the number and verification code. Even after they already have your CC number (which was your fault) and verification number (why do people give out their CC's?), they still need to do a small charge to your card and you have to confirm a number.

If all this could happen, I would immediately cancel that card because they can buy anything with it right now.
    I agree with Delusional in that you would need to immediately cancel that particular card! You don't want to wait around for Paypal to do something! Just call your bank and say your details have been stolen and they will do the rest.

Paypal has a lot of issues mainly because they have so many clients and such a small support staff. You have to wait for days to get a reply from them by email and you won't be able to talk to anyone on the phone unless you get the line open and that doesn't happen often.

The only way that I was able to get help with this was to have my bank issue a new debit card. I don't know if the bank ever got their money bank from PayPal, but they returned what was stolen from me to my account within 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by simon31 View Post
    I agree with Delusional in that you would need to immediately cancel that particular card! You don't want to wait around for Paypal to do something! Just call your bank and say your details have been stolen and they will do the rest.

Paypal has a lot of issues mainly because they have so many clients and such a small support staff. You have to wait for days to get a reply from them by email and you won't be able to talk to anyone on the phone unless you get the line open and that doesn't happen often.
    It's actually semi easy after researching, call them and when u get to the automated crap, just continuously press 0 eventually you will get a agent my average is 6 times occasionally 7